Thoughts on Cerakote on an expensive gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Cerakote on an expensive gun

What are your thoughts on getting cerakote on an expensive gun? Example: if you have a expensive over and under shotgun with surface rust on the barrels would you reblue it or cerakote it?

Reblue on a over under..

Comment

I would not coat it personally. Cerakote is great for a lot of things, but really fine shotguns is not one of them in my opinion. Its probably worth the re-blue if it's not pitted badly.

Comment

I’d have to blue the ou. But I’ve dogged my sbe ii from day 1 knowing if it gets too ugly I can go cerakote it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll probably reblue

Comment

Reblue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I guess I’m the oddball. I prefer cerakote over bluing.

Comment

Send it to turnbull...

Comment

My first question would be if you have an expensive shotgun or any gun for that matter how did it get surface rust on the barrels in the first place and would it be exposed to the same elements again? If it would be exposed to whatever caused the rust then I don't see much sense in having it re blued. I have not used cerakote although I hear it gives a durable finish. I have done quite a few guns with dura a coat and if applied as instructed it gives a nice finish and you don't have to worry about rust. The attached photo is of my colt 1911 that I did 7-8 yrs ago. It is not an every day carry piece and I don't carry it in a holster so don't want to give any one the impression that it won't show wear because as almost any finish it will show wear unless you want it to be a safe queen. It really is up to you to decide how you want to use it. Is it a hunting firearm or a safe queen? If you hunt with it is going to show it. It doesn't matter what kind of finish it has on it-at least that I am aware of. Now that I have gotten long winded about it I'll give you my 2 cents for what it is worth. First I would remove the expensive part. Any gun you own deserves to be taken care of and you probably know that. I would have it rust blued by some one who knows how to do it. If you have a gun that is special to you for whatever the reason then I would have it blued and accept the short comings that come with that. I'm (67yrs.)old school. I like beautiful walnut and blue metal and 98 Mauser actions. It doesn't get any better than that!! but that's just me
                  Attached Files

Comment

Is the price really relevant if you plan to keep it and use it?

I think some companies still do the black chroming finish and several coatings come in gun metal blue color.

Comment

I would reblue or even hard chrome but I'm not a fan of painting or cerakoting, guns unless it's a beater shotgun.
                      Even if done correctly, cerakote wears off eventually unless you just leave it in the safe.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

No way I would cerakote a shot gun, get it re blued. Personally I think cerakote makes any firearm look cheap. JMO of course.

Comment

Working...
                        X