Home fire alarm help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home fire alarm help

At my wits end. Live in an older home. Our fire alarms are hard wired w/ nine volt batteries as well. They started a low, rapid beep this afternoon. Not a loud chirp, more like crickets.

I’ve replaced every battery. It quit for a while, now three of them are at it again.

Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replace all of them
    They typically have a 10 yr life span, sensors get degraded and they will do as you describe.

Comment

Thanks. I’m sure they are over 10 years old. I think I found the guilty one tonight.

Comment

Take all the batteries out & unplug them all. Hold down the test button to completely drain each one. Then put batteries back in them & plug them back in. Should fix the noise but like was said before, 10 years is max. Replace any over 10 years old. Since they're hardwired, only need to replace the 9V batteries once a year, not twice. Now they make some that have a lithium battery built in that lasts 10 years but IDK if they make that style that are also hardwired. Hardwired is the way to go so when one goes off, they all go off.

Comment

Just FYI: they're called smoke detectors, not fire alarms.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
            Just FYI: they're called smoke detectors, not fire alarms.

Yes sir. The noise was getting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
              Yes sir. The noise was getting to me.

Been there!

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                At my wits end. Live in an older home. Our fire alarms are hard wired w/ nine volt batteries as well. They started a low, rapid beep this afternoon. Not a loud chirp, more like crickets.

I’ve replaced every battery. It quit for a while, now three of them are at it again.

Ideas?

I have 5 in my house and replace them all the time. The last one was around $135 for one but it was the 3 in 1. I replace them so much that I have 2 missing because I’m tired of buying them.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                  I have 5 in my house and replace them all the time. The last one was around $135 for one but it was the 3 in 1. I replace them so much that I have 2 missing because I’m tired of buying them.

A cheap one is better than not one @ all. Do you have gas appliances? If not, I wouldn't worry about a CO or Nat. Gas monitor. If you do, one isn't needed in each room. Just have a CO/ Nat. Gas detector near the equipt. that uses it.

Comment

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I have read where the CO monoxide detectors that are up high like smoke detectors aren't very good since CO is heavier and stays lower. Any truth to this?

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
                      Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I have read where the CO monoxide detectors that are up high like smoke detectors aren't very good since CO is heavier and stays lower. Any truth to this?
                      We have been told we should advise people to put them about shoulder high.
                      Honestly, I have not done any research.

Comment

I work on them daily. All have to be replaced when they start chirping.

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
                          CO has a specific gravity <1, meaning it’ll rise. They were only put low in the beginning because they plugged into wall outlets. They should be put at the same heights as smoke detectors.

Comment

The problem with mine when they went bad was that the hardwire plugs on the new ones were different from the original ones. I went with regular battery operated ones.

Comment

chirp....chirp.....chirp....chirp.

Comment

Working...
                              X