Switch to Fixed Blade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch to Fixed Blade?

I'm a first-year archer and quite addicted. However, I can't imagine getting into the more detailed aspects that many of the TBH faithful do (serving my own peep, installing a new string myself, etc.). I prefer the shooting and hunting aspect.
    I started out using mechanical broadheads because my long-time archer friend/adviser recommended them for a newbie. The Spitfires I used seemed to fly like field points and I made some kills. However, they didn't hold up very well. I switched over to 2 blade Bloodrunners and they seem not to fly as much like field points (you can look at them and see that they look like they have two huge 'rudders' sticking out to catch air).
    Well, my tripod is set up just under 20 yards from my feeder. I am currently practicing shooting at 30 and 40 yards, although I don't anticipate taking a shot at that distance in my current hunting location.
    What would change if I switched to some fixed blade broadheads? I see 6 Muzzy broadheads for sale for less than only 3 Spitfires, Bloodrunners, Rage, etc.
    If I'm not shooting 40, 50, 60 yards, will it make much difference?
    BTW, I'm shooting a Switchback XT, currently set at 60#.

For a cut on contact head, I would recommend muzzy phantoms, and my top pick for a different style of fixed head would be Slick Tricks. Great blood trails and penetration!

Comment

Try the slick tricks

Comment

It will make a difference, depending on how well your bow is/maintains tune.
        Fixed blade BH are in fact wings, and if started in a slightly 'off' direction, will steer the arrow that way until the vanes tke over and stabilize the arrow, but the damage has already been done.
        Typically, you will need to shoot more helical fletching to add more stabilizing ability, and more finely tune your bow with a hopeful outcome that field points and broadheads impact the same.
        This is not always possible with all shooters and their set-ups, so either mechanicals or adjusting sights to the broadhead are your options.
        Good, straight arrow flight with broadheads is the ultimate goal either way.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Shoot whatever shoots the best. For me thats muzzy three blade. I hate moving parts that are non essential, More stuff to go wrong at the worst possible time: Murphy's law.

So I try as much as possible to cut down on as many variables I can. For the same reason I shoot a WB.

Comment

100 grain 3 blade muzzy's are great. If they shoot good in your bow go for it.

Comment

exact story for me 2b4, as a matter of fact, same mechanicals used, I've become interested in fixed bh's cause I'm thinkin' I wanna shoot through the mesh sometime....

Comment

i carry both on my quiver, some places won't allow mechnicals if you hunt day leases

Comment

Slick tricks

100 grain mag

Comment

My advise, take it or leave it... learn to do your own work. Don't be afraid to tune your own bow. A perfect bow will shoot any broadhead the same as fieldpoints. If they hit in a different spot, your bow is out of tune and you aren't getting the most out of your rig. Moving your sight around is not the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by jathomas437 View Post
                        My advise, take it or leave it... learn to do your own work. Don't be afraid to tune your own bow. A perfect bow will shoot any broadhead the same as fieldpoints. If they hit in a different spot, your bow is out of tune and you aren't getting the most out of your rig. Moving your sight around is not the answer.
                        Trust me on this one thing, not all bows and the shooter are capable of putting fixed heads and field points in the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                          Trust me on this one thing, not all bows and the shooter are capable of putting fixed heads and field points in the same place.
                          Practice, practice, practice... or settle for 'good enough'. It ain't for everybody, I realise this. To each his own...

Comment

Originally posted by jathomas437 View Post
                            Practice, practice, practice... or settle for 'good enough'. It ain't for everybody, I realise this. To each his own...
                            "Good enough, to each his own".
                            I don't settle for 'good enough', and I've tuned enough bows that I can make this statement with complete confidence.
                            Realizing that someone might have more experience than you do ain't for everybody either.
                            At some point in time, you will realize that there are others that "practice,practice,practice", and tune enough bows that they understand torque and hand placement and how it affects the bow/riser/arrow combination.
                            Read what you want from this post, and your internet advice, and even your own limited experience, but at some point you will encounter what I've seen.

Comment

Slick Trick 100gr. magnum

Comment

Working...
                              X