Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Traditional

Howdy folks,

I have a question regarding carbon arrows out of a recurve. I'm currently shooting Eastland 2213 Aluminum shafts but would like to switch over to carbon Gold Tips and I'm not sure of weight I should be looking at. I'm pulling #48, and am looking at hunting with 175gr heads this next year.

Do ya'll think I should be looking at 5575's or 7595's?

Thank you,

Jake

Welcome to trad, Jake!

I'm no arrow expert, but I'm going to take a wild guess that the arrows you're shooting are probably too stiff for a 48# bow, unless they're fairly long? But before we go any further, what's your draw length? Also, is the 48# at your draw length? Or is it rated as 48# at 28" of draw?

Anyway, once you get the right arrows figured out, you'll be surprised at how much better they'll shoot. The arrow experts on here should weigh in soon enough and get you headed in the right direction.

Comment

What kind of Recurve and do you know if the string is Fast Flight or not? What is your draw length?

Comment

I agree with those aluminums being too stiff for a 48# bow. I shoot Gold Tips and I think you will be looking mostly at the 35/55. The 55/75 will need a lot of weight up front to make them tune correctly. The 55/75's might work OK if you go with 100gr brass inserts and the 175gr point (but do not cut them off any or you will make them too stiff).

Bisch

Comment

The draw length is 28.5", and the bow is a Red Wing Hunter at 48# at 28"

Thanks for the help, it's definitely a lot of fun and very humbling.

Jake

Comment

At 28 1/2" DL you should be able to use the 55/75's if you also use the 100gr insert. If you want to stay with the standard insert, you will need to go with the 35/55 and play with length till you get it right.

Oh yeah, welcome to the fun side!

Bisch

Comment

Here is one option if you leave it full length. If you want to shorten them, you can go to 29" and add a 100 grain insert as Bisch already mentioned.
              Attached Files

Comment

That strike plate position number can make a huge difference if his bow is different then what you entered into the calculator. Just FYI.

Bisch

Comment

That's correct Bisch on the strike plate thickness, I just had to guess. I think it could be a good starting point though. Just leave the arrows long and see what tuning tells you. Trim arrows 1/4" at a time and recheck. You can cut off too much if your not careful. Carbons get too stiff really quick.
                  Last edited by TMiddleton; 04-03-2013, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I think those wing recurves are center cut or maybe even past center so the 1/16 is probably a fair number. And there is a good chance that the string could be ff instead of b50.

I would go with the 55/75 also. Leave them full length and see how they fly. Then when you go up in draw weight you can probably use the same arrows cut off a couple inches. That way you only have to buy one type of arrows.
                    Last edited by Felix40; 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up guys, will make some changes and see how it goes!

Jake

Comment

I shoot the gold tips 3555 trads out of my 47# longbow and 43# recurve. I shoot 125 grain points plus the inserts and collars at the nock. I used the weight system and I ended up putting 150 grains into the inserts and my 30" arrow tuned and ended up weighing 580grs.

Comment

I suck at picking arrows, but welcome anyway.

Comment

Welcome to the fun side of archery.

Comment

Working...
                            X