My dumb question for the month....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dumb question for the month....

We're all entitled to a dumb ? every once in a while, right? Wife wants answers and I'm coming up short online.

Situation: long story short, a CFL lightbulb fell into our empty top loading washing machine and shattered. I quickly picked up all the big pieces and vacuumed the rest up to get as much as possible out of the holes and from under the rotator. I have run three empty cycles and just washed some floor mats. It has also been a few days.

At what point would you consider it safe for clothes, more importantly, childrens clothes? Anything else short of getting a new washer (her secret wish) I should do? I know its a relatively small dose and can be harmless but wife wants concrete evidence any which way.

I also aired the house out and took the vacuum outside for thorough cleaning/airing out.

No indicators of mercury poisoning so far

Wash on, it’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not a professional washing machine repairman, but you should be good.

Comment

Check out the Samsung Top Loaders.......

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          And the winner is...........

Comment

If the light bulbs were that much to worry about, they wouldn’t be made. Wash on. Also, wash your clothes first to be the guinea pig, just to prove it is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
              If the light bulbs were that much to worry about, they wouldn’t be made. Wash on. Also, wash your clothes first to be the guinea pig, just to prove it is safe.

This^^^^

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

I would say wash-on, my wife would have me move it out immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  actually, he needs a front load so it never happens again!

Comment

Why did you tell her about it in the first place ?

Comment

wash your mother-inlaws cloths first.

Comment

Originally posted by breadman View Post
                        wash your mother-inlaws cloths first.
                        Perfect solution.

I played with mercury all the time when I was a kid and I'm still kicking.

Comment

Run a few empty cycles in the washer and it should be good to go but I would dispose of the entire vacuum. That's gonna spew mercury-laden dust in the air every time you run it.

Comment

tell here not to worry about the washer. it will come out in the dryer or when she "pops" the clothes after the dry to put on a hanger......

then duck.

Comment

If only others would limit their dumb questions to every once in awhile instead of almost daily. Wash on, no problem with contamination. This advice is worth what you paid for it. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X