Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
MagicBlade
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas
Default Ever have a gun rust?

This past weekend my model 10 / 308 bull barrel got damp and ended up rusting towards the end of the barrel overnight while it was in my leather gun case.

I couldn't believe it happened so quickly. Wasn't sure what to do, so I brought it home and found this on YouTube.

Tried it and it worked great, much to my relief.
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 05:39 AM   #2
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Yep been using 0000 steel wool and lots of oil for years
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 06:01 AM   #3
robert97dodge
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston/trinity/Nacogdoches county NF

My Tikka’s I have got surface rust on Them pretty quick. I carry my .308 the most on public land and during the summer my hand rest on the barrel while I’m carrying it. That spot got even worse. I ended up getting it cerakoted at a local place and no more worries.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
huntandfishguy6
Six Point

I had the misfortune of getting dust from a bag of triple 13 fertilizer on a ruger mk 2. I would clean the rust up, but it would come back. I was never able to stop it.
huntandfishguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 07:21 AM   #5
sendit
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajicBlade
I couldn't believe it happened so quickly.
With the firearms made cheaper nowadays the finish on alot of them are poor. Deep gloss blue used to be the standard and holds up well. The finish on some guns now seem to be spayed on and don't hold up. Keep them oiled and there shouldn't be a problem.

While stainless used in firearms is more resistant to corrosion/rust it still can. I had a Tikka out of the box with surface rust on it. Be aware that using regular steel wool on stainless steel can make it worse as it imbeds regular/CM steel into the stainless and will rust.
sendit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #6
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

I can tell you how NOT to get rid of it. My shotgun had some surface rust on it as did the choke. I read vinegar would dissolve the rust. Dang sure did! Along with all the threading on the choke and matte finish on my barrel!
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Small rust spots that aren't deep pitted can be removed with a lead pencil. Then rub briskly with a cleaning patch and some Shooter's Choice or other bore cleaner. Oil and wipe down.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
Abctx
Six Point

Matte finishes are tricky, but on normal blue, the 0000 steel wool and oil is the trick.
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #9
fish4food
Eight Point

So what happens if you use 000 steel wool?

I may have used that instead of 0000.

It got the rust off, And doesn’t appear to have damaged the finish, but I saw they recommended only 0000.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

I bought a single shot 12ga.Years ago at Wal-Mart.Left it in the box on the backseat over night.The next morning it was ORANGE with rust!
We had a real heavy dew overnight.All I can figure that made it happen.Cleaned it up with Emory cloth,and rem oil.Took forever.It hasn't rusted since.But it still won't kick the empty hull out like it's supposed to.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Small rust spots that aren't deep pitted can be removed with a lead pencil. Then rub briskly with a cleaning patch and some Shooter's Choice or other bore cleaner. Oil and wipe down.
Good to know. Thanks for the tip.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Flitz removes light rust very well and does not damage surface, hard to find now though.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #13
bermise
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

Guns with lower quality finish tend to rust much quicker and easier when stored in a leather or canvas soft gun case. Both my Benelli's will rust every time I put them in a soft case, even only a few hours.
bermise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #14
Abctx
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4food View Post
So what happens if you use 000 steel wool?

I may have used that instead of 0000.

It got the rust off, And doesn’t appear to have damaged the finish, but I saw they recommended only 0000.
You just run a higher risk of getting more aggressive and removing the bluing that is UNDER the rust. The 0000 steel wool almost feels like a cotton ball. The goal is to remove the rust sitting on the surface. If you have “pitting” rust, you can remove it, but you’ll either damage the bluing, or it will have been damaged by the pitting rust.

Keep the surface VERY oily. I even use a paper towel/cloth, and wipe off the rust/oil “slurry” after a few passes with the steel wool, re-oil, then steel wool again, so I’m not scratching up the surface with the iron oxide (rust) particles I’ve removed.
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #15
kaizen
Eight Point

Went on a late season duck hunt on a misty morning. Put my 835 ultimag in a zip up case under the back seat and completely forgot about it. A month later, It was rusted to the fabric of the case. Steel wool and oiled it up. Its ugly now but still works fine. The finish on my 870 is so bad. It rusts on just a humid day.
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #16
Pilgrim
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
Went on a late season duck hunt on a misty morning. Put my 835 ultimag in a zip up case under the back seat and completely forgot about it. A month later, It was rusted to the fabric of the case. Steel wool and oiled it up. Its ugly now but still works fine. The finish on my 870 is so bad. It rusts on just a humid day.
We sat and watched my brother’s 870 rust during a duck hunt one time. Matte finish. Buddy used to have an 835, that thing was so loud we kicked him out of the blind.
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 08:14 AM   #17
512robby
Six Point

I cerakoted my Benelli

Good stuff

Pricey but useful on field guns

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
512robby is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #18
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBlade View Post
This past weekend my model 10 / 308 bull barrel got damp and ended up rusting towards the end of the barrel overnight while it was in my leather gun case.

I couldn't believe it happened so quickly. Wasn't sure what to do, so I brought it home and found this on YouTube. Gun Trader's Trick To Remove Rust Safely, Quickly, and With No Chemicals! - YouTube

Tried it and it worked great, much to my relief.

So you put a wet/damp gun in a case without wiping it down with an oil rag or silicone rag first?
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #19
MagicBlade
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
So you put a wet/damp gun in a case without wiping it down with an oil rag or silicone rag first?
Good point!

It was 90 degrees, but had rained earlier that morning and the old blind was wet inside. Laid the case on the floor and it got damp. Didn't realize it until the next morning.

Lesson learned!
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #20
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBlade View Post
Good point!

It was 90 degrees, but had rained earlier that morning and the old blind was wet inside. Laid the case on the floor and it got damp. Didn't realize it until the next morning.

Lesson learned!

As my Dad used to say as he popped me on the back of the head as a kid. "Don't do that!"..

Glad it cleaned up.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #21
Smart
Pope & Young

I keep one of these in the pocket of each of my gun cases sprayed down with rem-oil. As much as I sweat in a dove field, or spill beer/water etc, I wipe down every gun before I case it unless it is dipped. I didn't do it with an 1100 in HS and it was not good when I pulled it out at home after the weekend. My Dad was not happy and I have carried a cloth ever since..

Old 09-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #22
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Guns or knives. Never store in a case for long periods. Leather or cloth will both wick moisture from the atmosphere and the metal stored inside will rust. Even stainless can pit and corrode over a long period when exposed to harsh elements. Any metal with high carbon content is susceptible regardless of the alloy. For this reason I use an oil based leather dye on the knife sheaths and pistol holsters I make. The oil helps to keep moisture from wicking into the leather. Wonder Blue is a very good product to use for gun blue touch up. Can be used over top of other blue products for small repairs. I keep one of those wide carpenter's pencils in with my gun cleaning tools just in case I see a rust spot.

Last edited by muzzlebrake; 09-05-2019 at 09:50 AM.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #23
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Thumbs up

Tagged for later.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #24
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
Guns with lower quality finish tend to rust much quicker and easier when stored in a leather or canvas soft gun case. Both my Benelli's will rust every time I put them in a soft case, even only a few hours.
Benellis are weird i think the finishes nowdays are not as good. Or different process or something. I have an older M2 i bought new and it rusted a little bit and i would oil it and work it over some. Now its like a seasoned cast iron skillet! It will not rust.

My dad has a newer 5-6yr old SBE2 and that sucker rusts like a piece of bare metal. I finally had it cerakoted for him.
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 01:34 AM   #25
fish4food
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abctx View Post
You just run a higher risk of getting more aggressive and removing the bluing that is UNDER the rust. The 0000 steel wool almost feels like a cotton ball. The goal is to remove the rust sitting on the surface. If you have “pitting” rust, you can remove it, but you’ll either damage the bluing, or it will have been damaged by the pitting rust.

Keep the surface VERY oily. I even use a paper towel/cloth, and wipe off the rust/oil “slurry” after a few passes with the steel wool, re-oil, then steel wool again, so I’m not scratching up the surface with the iron oxide (rust) particles I’ve removed.
10-4

Thank you. Good thing they are truck guns. I’ll get some 0000 and use that from now on. Area I live is humid as any place I’ve ever lived.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 02:09 AM   #26
DK1555
Four Point

Quote:
no joke, i kicked the gun case on my duck gun and settle with the scratches instead now. Left my gun in there one day after a hunt for a week becasuse a family issue and when i pulled it out every mm tht wasn't camo was brown fuzz and rust.
DK1555 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 02:37 AM   #27
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512robby View Post
I cerakoted my Benelli

Good stuff

Pricey but useful on field guns

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifton View Post
Benellis are weird i think the finishes nowdays are not as good. Or different process or something. I have an older M2 i bought new and it rusted a little bit and i would oil it and work it over some. Now its like a seasoned cast iron skillet! It will not rust.

My dad has a newer 5-6yr old SBE2 and that sucker rusts like a piece of bare metal. I finally had it cerakoted for him.
Another one here with benellis (M2 and Nova) that rusted. Had to keep it and some of my rifles under a family members bed for a few weeks while I moved. The benelli barrels rusted, the blued guns were just fine.

The benelli barrels were cerakoted shortly after, no problems after that.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top