3.5 Creedmoor vs 6.5x55

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.5 Creedmoor vs 6.5x55

Is there any reason to get vs the other? I reload, so I should be able to push the 6.5x55 faster (modern firearm). Brass should be a non issue as well. The only reason I'd pick up a 6.5 Creedmoor is that is available in stainless barrels from Tikka - whereas the Swede is only available in the hunter model (wood and blued barrel).

Just curious and well...honestly a little bored on this Sunday afternoon.

If you want a 6.5 and you handload then why not go bigger?

Comment

It's really personal perfernce. The sweede will be a little faster but the creed will require less brass manaintence and being shorter will function loaded long with high BC boolets in most any mag.

Additionally, the creed has brass with a small rifle primer from lapua.

If it's chambered in your preferred rifle then that would be the deciding factor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Short action, 'murican, in the rifle you actually want. Creed

Comment

Creedmore has a ton of ammo and new fans out there if you ever wanted to
          Sell it.

BP

Comment

I'd opt for a bit bigger bullet. My airgun shoots a bigger caliber.

Comment

For being a long action the 6.5x55 doesn’t bring a lot of advantage to the 6.5cm. The 6.5x284 is a better step up, otherwise I’d just stay with the CM.

Comment

FWIW, I picked up a 6.5x55 in the Tikka Forest and it comes with a LA mag instead of a short. The bolt stop is also cut for a LA, so no need to worry about seating bullets long if you want to. Between the two, I think the 6.5x55 can be pushed harder for better ballistics. I personally chose the 6.5x55 because I like its capabilities and I like to be different.

Comment

“I personally chose the 6.5x55 because I like its capabilities and I like to be different.”

I used to want to be different (.222, .257 Roberts, .260, .264 mag etc)
                  Now I know the .223, .243 and .270 are hard to beat in texas.

Of course, I just caved and got a 6.5 CM. It was cheap ! : )

Comment

6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5x47 Lapua are very efficient cartridges that work well in short action and have the benefits others have noted. The 6.5x55 is a classic hunting cartridge, but it needs a standard or magnum length action. It's the .30-06 of 6.5 millimeters.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                      I'd opt for a bit bigger bullet. My airgun shoots a bigger caliber.
                      I see what you did there lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

In the field, you will not be able to tell any difference.

If you ever make it to your hunting spot, without ammo, will be a LOT easier to find a box of 6.5 CM ammo.

Comment

I had a 6.5X55 as a kid and loved it. My dad gave it away to an African outfitter years ago. Still hacks me off he did that without asking me. It was an old sporterized mauser with an 18.5 inch barrel and it shot 140 gr. Speer bullets under an inch. I've had an insatiable itch for another 6.5 and finally found one with a 24" barrel. I've looked for a couple of years for a Browning 1885 Single Shot in 6.5x55, but they're rarer than hen's teeth and the ones I have seen the gun show guys want 5K for them.

I bought a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5x55, long action, over sized magazine, lightweight, and it shoots lights out with hand-loads so far. Hornady brass/CCI 200/42.5 gr. IMR 4350/130 gr. Swift Sirocco's/seated 0.030 off the lands got the top group below. That's .185. The last group is with RL 19 and it's under and inch. I've got some more loaded up with RL 19 and different seating depths that I'm hoping to try this week. I haven't checked the velocities yet so I hope its a good sunny day and I'll take the chronograph with me.

The Swede will do everything the crudmoore can do. Ammo may not be in every drug store in BFE, but I ain't never forgot my ammo before.

I too have the same affliction with being different. Got a 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 7mm RSAUM, now I'm thinking 222 or a 300 H&H.

Comment

I forgot the target...

[ATTACH]902428[/ATTACH]

Comment

I gots both. The Swede will handle a 160 gr round nose bullet if you need to go heavier. Real world, no difference to speak of.

Comment

Working...
                              X