The Trip Alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Trip Alone

This trip started out as a pre-Christmas hunt with my son (Denny) and my best friend (Jim). But as time got closer things started going down hill, first Denny said that his boss said no body would be allowed to take off the week before Christmas, then Jim called and said things came up at work and he wouldn’t be able to make the trip. So I gave it some serious thought on staying home and canceling the hunt or just go it alone.
    With two weeks off I decided to go and just relax and enjoy the time in the woods.

I got and early start Monday morning leaving at 05:30 and was excited about going even if it was by myself. Well 50 miles down the road and my front right tire blew! So here I am in the dark having to unload all the hunting gear out of the back seat so I can get to the darn jack. You know if you have never flipped the back seat forward in a crew cab it can be pure hell trying to figure that the seat must be flipped completely forward before the back will budge. Anyway after getting that figured out I changed the tire and drove into Wharton to try and find a place to buy a spare tire, I didn’t want to drive all the way to south Texas with out one. Finally at 7:30 and $50 I was back on the road.

I arrived at Mesquite Bow hunting right around noon and got all my gear unloaded. I told Gerald I wanted to hunt the Red Stag so we headed out and placed a couple stands where we thought we might have a chance at getting one of these elusive critters.

The first evening I set in my ladder stand where the Red Stag have been seen on regular basis, as I got situated for the evening activity I grabbed and knocked my arrow 2216 aluminum tipped with a 140gr Magnus 4 blade broad head, this arrow would be my “Chunky” arrow!
    It wasn’t long and I could hear the animals in route to meet the Chunky arrow of death. The first medium size hog that stepped into my shooting lane I drew back my Black Widow bow loaded with The Chunky arrow and as the pig stepped forward I released the arrow of death! There was a solid thump as I seen the Chunky arrow sail just under the chest of the hog and stick right in the middle of the road. Yep this trip was turning out to be a real downer to say the least. Sorry Chunky I know it was the shooter and not the arrow.

I hunted the Red Stag for two solid days with only one sighting, so then Wednesday afternoon I told Gerald it was time to put some pork in the cooler, so off we went to relocate some stands one for South wind and one for the North wind we were expecting to arrive anytime. That evening as the North wind blew in I got into my ground blind we had built and waited for the evening action. We I had Black Buck, Aoudad and Fallow deer parade by me, but no hogs showed up! Well very disappointed and thinking this trip was a big waste of time and money with the darkness closing in I eased out of my blind and walked ten yards down the road and I seen hogs headed my way. I stepped off the road and slipped in behind a dead mesquite tree. Light was fading fast as they approached, I seen 6 or 8 small ones feeding first and behind them was two larger ones. I figured the way things were going I better wait for the Bigger target! As the small ones fed by I put tension on the string and as the first bigger hog stepped forward the Widow released arrow of death. I heard the arrow smack but being so close to getting dark I just didn’t see the arrow flight or hit.
    I marked were the hog went into the brush and went back to camp. I told Gerald what happen so we waited while enjoying a cold one. An hour later we decided to go see what we could find, the blood trail was easy and 150 yards later we found him, bigger then what I thought so I was happy with the results.

Anyone want to guess his weight? Remember I’m no little guy I stand 6’3” and weigh a petite 275. I'll post his weight later.

The next morning I smacked another pig with a perfect knuckle shot, so what was turning out to be a trip of hunting alone and trouble didn’t turn out half bad.
    I did meet another TBH there Thursday morning which was nice.

Spur I sure wish I would of gotten your message earlier.

That was a great story....Chunky arrow of Dirt...I laughed out loud.

Maybe it is just me, but the pics did not come up. Glad you had a decent trip and your truck trouble was minor. I will go ahead and guess 200 lbs on the pig, because I always guess 200 on pigs

Comment

Well let me try this again, first pic is of wednesday evening hog and second one is of this mornings pig.

Comment

Congrats Javelina, on the porker, I'll say 220#.

Comment

ATTABOY!!!!!!! Pigs make great bow targets

Comment

I have two theories on why the arrow with my name on it missed low.

1. Anything with my name on it probably has a little extra "gravitational attraction"...causing more drop and a miss low.

2. In an effort to get off that BlackWidder, the arrow with my name on jumped off the string before recieving the full transfer of energy the normal arrow would get, causing a drop in flight.

No way this was your fault.

That first pig looks pretty darn big, I might have to up my 200 lb guess to 289.

Comment

I'm gonna say 325

Comment

pork, the other white meat!~

Comment

Chunky
                  #1 could be possible but sense we have never met I can't say that would be the case.

#2 I think what you mean't to say "is being so excited sitting on the Black Widow shelf it probably got a little to excited and was pre-mature on getting off":-)

Comment

Oh, nice hogs. That ones a bruiser for sure.

Comment

I'll post the weight this evening.

Comment

Well this hog fouled me and Gerald real good as far as weight goes! We figured he would of weighed close to 280# but when we put him on my scale we were very surprised to see he only weighed 202#s
                        Chunky you should of stuck with your first guess, never dought your gut instinc.

Comment

LOL,,, it's all your fault, after you were braggin about how big you are and all. Me, you, and Buff should start us an XXL hunters club, we can keep lil'ol Losthawg out

I don't think Broken arrow is there yet, but if I train him and put him on my cheeseburger diet...he might just make weight.

Comment

Great story and great shoot'in. Nice pork straps for sure.

Comment

You may need to add an extra X in there for me! :-)
                              It's pure heck trying to find sleeves long enough to fit these long arms of mine

Comment

Working...
                              X