The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
    Sound like you choose a good time, giving yourself plenty of time to rehab before hunting season. Good luck.
    Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post
    Good luck with your surgury if nothing else you will get a couple of months to do more research while you heal.
    Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
      Well I finally decided to get my knee fixed. I've had a torn ACL for some years but have been able to control with braces. After a couple pretty strenuous hunts this year I have torn my meniscus as well and now the pain is constant and it easily gets stuck out of place. This is the 2nd time I've had the surgery....last time was 22 years ago. Times sure have changed. It will be outpatient and a total of 4 hours from the time I walk in to the time I walk out. A far cry from 2 days in the hospital in 1990.

So at this point this was my only option to keep western hunting.

6 months and I will be better than new since I don't remember what it was like to have a stable knee.

Good news is I will be ready to go for my 2013 hunts!

Under the knife Friday 12/28

Good luck! Let us know how it goes today.

BTW - If you find out you can't western hunt anymore - I know someone that could use your Kuiu clothes. (only kidding)

Comment

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by coonazz View Post
          Good luck! Let us know how it goes today.

BTW - If you find out you can't western hunt anymore - I know someone that could use your Kuiu clothes. (only kidding)
          Funny! If I get rid of them I'll give you dibs.

Comment

My 2013 Idaho elk hunt started last week.

A dream, a goal, and the start of a plan, is all I have right now, but I will post as preparations progress. I'm starting with boots, conditioning, and possible support/hunt contacts.

Thanks to all of the GS knowledge base, I've been taking notes since I opened this thread, and have a starting point on equipment. I'm only on page 6, but I'll catch up and see how 2012 elk season went for everyone. I post this now for accountability.

As we mature, time seems to go by faster. 8 months will be here quick. I want to make this happen and appreciate all constructive or instructive input.

Thanks

Hogboy

Comment

Drt, heal up quickly buddy. Prayers up for a speedy recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post

A dream, a goal, and the start of a plan, is all I have right now, but I will post as preparations progress. I'm starting with boots, conditioning, and possible support/hunt contacts.

Thanks to all of the GS knowledge base, I've been taking notes since I opened this thread, and have a starting point on equipment. I'm only on page 6, but I'll catch up and see how 2012 elk season went for everyone. I post this now for accountability.

As we mature, time seems to go by faster. 8 months will be here quick. I want to make this happen and appreciate all constructive or instructive input.

Thanks

Hogboy
                Some of the best advice can be had once you post up your thoughts on gear and what choices you are considering. If you are making a poor choice the GS may be able to help point you in the right direction.

Boots: depends on your foot build and ankle strength on what you will need.
                Will you be hunting from your truck, or packing in somewhere? Using horses or backpacking?

Brands to consider on boots: Hanwag, Asolo, Kenetrek, Lowa, Meindl, and Schnees.

Packs: $500-700 Kifaru , Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier
                or Eberlestock $200-300 that will get you by, just hurt a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post

Thanks

Hogboy
                  What type of Idaho elk hunt are you looking at, guided,diy over the counter, or limited entry.

Comment

Can anyone weigh in on the Russell APX clothing for Sept elk hunts?

I'm looking at the Reflector stuff that's ultra light weight for warmer days...

Trying to start loading up on clothing for warm to cool weather in the mountains.

Comment

elk hunt starting to plan

Well alll this talking has got me in the mood for elk country. Iam planning on going back to Colorado unit 62 again . Last time I went was 2 years ago and had to cut my hunt short cause of all the rain. I had scouted the Kieth crekk area but had to leave does any body have any info of this unit and area

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356819743.646557.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	24154094
                        Was going to post my brothers bull that he got in Oregon during rifle season. Coast range Roosevelt green scored 308. Hopping he doesn't loose too much during drying period.

Comment

Also if anyone needs help or has questions about hunting Idaho I can help as this is my home state now.

Comment

Fantastic Bull..... thanks for the info offer as well !

Comment

Originally posted by raiderbowhunter View Post
                              Can anyone weigh in on the Russell APX clothing for Sept elk hunts?

I'm looking at the Reflector stuff that's ultra light weight for warmer days...

Trying to start loading up on clothing for warm to cool weather in the mountains.
                              The Russell apx had been excellent stuff, better than my sitka!
                              Their zephyr pants are lightweight, waterproof, and are the only water proof pants i have found that are quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                                The Russell apx had been excellent stuff, better than my sitka!
                                Their zephyr pants are lightweight, waterproof, and are the only water proof pants i have found that are quiet.
                                Thanks for the help!

I'm gonna wear gander mtn out on some of that they have on sale

Comment

Working...
                                X