Lens reviews/comparisons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens reviews/comparisons?

Give me some suggestions on where to look for honest, non-biased reviews on lenses

I tried google and got a bunch from good to bad on the same lens

Use our mirrorless and DSLR interchangeable lens camera and lens comparison tools to determine which lens is the sharpest, which lens has the least distortion, which lens has the least flare, and MUCH more!

Comment

Thanks

Took a look at that site, not real familiar with that kind of comparison

Any other suggestions appreciated, I am still looking via search
      Last edited by BTLowry; 06-07-2015, 06:49 AM.

Comment

What features are you looking to compare or review?

Comment

I've had good luck referring to fredmiranda.com for reviews in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
            What features are you looking to compare or review?
            Well I would like to have a 70-200 f2.8 but the Canon IS II is ~$2500

I could buy used but not knowing how to properly inspect one (I can buy lots of used stuff that I know what to look for) I am leery of going that route

I noticed while looking at the Tamron 150-600 that they have a 70-200 f2.8 that is $1500.
            I know that the Canon is the better lens but I wonder if the Tamron would meet my needs. Basically could I tell the difference and would it make $1000 difference to me

Basically you could buy the Tamron 70-200 AND 150-600 for what the Canon 70-200 costs

I trust the opinions of several on TBH but doubt many have had experience with the Tamron 70-200

Comment

I've bought several used lenses (some over $1000) from total strangers on forums...like fredmiranda.com. With fredmiranda's rating system, I think you're pretty safe. I've also done craigslist where I could take my body and try the lens before handing over the cash. With the way people like to trade up on gear, there is a great used market for gently used stuff.

With that said, I know nothing about the Tamron but do consider the 70-200 f2.8L IS II to be one of the best lenses in the Canon lineup. I have seen them used under $2000.

Comment

It really depends on what you're trying to do with your images. In my opinion, if you're not a professional or semi-professional and are not trying to market your images, you don't need the Canon 70-200 2.8. You may WANT it. You might be able to afford it, but you don't need it. If you are competing with other photographers for a job, or customers, etc., then yes, you need it. Because your competition will have one and your images very likely won't be as sharp or contrasty.

However, if you're like me and you just shoot for your own enjoyment and to share with friends and family, the Tamron 70-200 2.8 will make you very happy and will produce very nice images.

Take for instance my 150-600 Tamron. I take images with it that make me very happy and that I really enjoy sharing with my friends, family and the public through my Flickr feed or in various brochures or websites I contribute to. If I were trying to sell my images, I would be saving my pennies for a 500 f4 or 600 f4 Canon lens. But I'm not, and I don't NEED to spend $10K on a lens.

Another way to look at this is by comparing camera lenses to binoculars. What kind of binoculars do you use? If you feel that Vortex Viper HD's are all you need, then you will probably be happy with the Tamron lenses. If you don't have anything to compare them directly to, then the Vipers look darn good. However, if I handed you my Swaro SLC's and you compared them directly to the Vipers, then you would see the difference and probably feel differently about the Vipers. It's all relative.

The one difference in my mind between binoculars and camera lenses is that with lenses, you're creating an image you'll have to look at from now on. Binocular images are temporary. So I would probably be willing to invest in a little higher quality lens than binoculars, for that reason.

The only reason I have a pair of Swaro's is simply because I found a pair in mint condition for 1/2 price. Otherwise, it would be Viper HD's for me

Not sure if that helps, but that's my way of thinking, and I've been buying and selling camera lenses and binoculars for over 25 years now.

One last thing, KEH.com is your friend. I've bought a LOT of used gear from them and have never once been disappointed. In fact, the stuff is usually in much better shape than they rate it. And their return policy is second to none.

Comment

I have a Tamron 70-200 2.8 and love it. You will not be disappointed. Save the $1K on it and use it for something else.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Limbwalker you hit the nail on the head, I want one but I don't need one

This would be for personal use, nowhere near good enough to think of trying to make a living (or even supplemental income ) at my skill level

Comment

BT, I've spent a lot more time on my photography hobby in the past 20+ years than I probably should have. It can be addictive, and the pursuit of tack-sharp images that look as good as the pro's... well, it can be easy to get sucked in. I think a lot of amateurs do.

Comment

Working...
                      X