Rules question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rules question

My daughter (9 years old) loves hunting and 3D archery, but I need to get her a new sight.
    My question is if I build her a sight the consists on a zero power glass lens with a sticker (ring not a dot or pin) is there a rule that a sight of that type would be rejected at a 3D shoot.
    Remember it would be a clear piece of glass not a powered scope.
    I am making this for hunting so don't think it's a target sight sneak.

Thank you

No rules against it, the type of site will determine the class she will compete. This Dusty jump in on this one or Mike Smith

Comment

thanks i guess where i am going is she is 9 and would be in the cub class or something close (we really don't give a flip about "winning" just having fun)
      i just don't want some grown man to come up and tell a 9 year old girl she is disqualified or a cheater for some interpretation of some obscure rule.
      see i have shot 3D and once got dq'd for having the first camo riser bow with black limbs. they said that i had target class limbs and couldn't have shot in the bowhunter category. my question... how is black not camo? the irony is now a huge percentage of hunting bows are black... completely
      oh to be a human

Comment

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I will caution about that set up in general. If it is foggy, misty, rainy, etc. she won't be able to see out of it. For those situations, you will need to remove the lens, and then what?

Comment

good point Dusty with the weather conditions

Comment

Is the sight a moveable type that is moved for each distance? Or is it fixed? A fixed sight will put her in the Middle School Pins class (ASA) where a moveable sight puts her in the MS Open class. I will check my rulebook again, but I don't think it matters if there is a magnification.
            But Dusty brings up the practical issue. Besides weather conditions, the circle sticker isn't visible on all targets. A black sticker is obvious, but even bright orange will cause some problems, one is on dark targets, ironically. It contrasts too much and the eye has trouble seeing details past it.
            why would you want a circle lens sticker for hunting? I'm not trying to sound condescending, I am truly curious. I've not heard of it, so if it works, I would like to know more.

Comment

She is 9 and would be in Elementary Pins or Elementary open class (Grades 3-5). I shoot a fluorescent red ring from Precision Archery Reticles and I can see it on all targets including black ones for 3D. The only time I have issues seeing the ring is when I get a glare from my peep and an umbrella solves that issue quickly. The rule book states that a moveable sight may be used in a pins class as long as it is locked into position. "Sights will have fixed pins with no pin limit. Movable sights may be used but must be locked down into a fixed position..." The issue that I could see you running into is other shooters thinking that the glass is actually a lens. There is no mention of glass being used, only lenses that provide magnification. I would definitely seek clarification as to whether the ring is allowed in a pins class even when in a fixed position.

Comment

Here is what I got from an ASA official: The key is FIXED and MAGNIFICATION. If the sight is fixed and not adjusted and the glass doesn't provide magnification then all is OK.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                  X