Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a 338 Lapua Magnum for long range elk hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a 338 Lapua Magnum for long range elk hunting?

Anyone used it for that? How about also a 338-378 Weatherby Magnum?

I'd like to make long range shots not only for elk, but possibly moose as well.

Would prefer a synthetic stock for whichever rifle is chosen. Looks like a brake is necessary to help with recoil.

If I only choose one and went with a Sako TRG 42, it could be a great dual purpose gun.

Anyone have helpful thoughts on this?

Can't really help... but did watch pigman shoot a elk at around 400 with 338 lapua and dropped him like a bad habit

Comment

If possible, I'd add some weight to the gun, and/or wear a recoil pad on your shoulder. You need to really shoot tight for a long range shot, and it's hard to shoot a gun like that without developing a flinch. To some degree, it's an individual thing. Some people don't notice it, others can't stand the recoil from a .243.

Comment

Both of those calibers will work well for long range elk kills but unless you just want something like that, it is overkill. There is a company back here by the name of Gunwerks and they have been shooting and building long range rifles for years. They started with the 7mm Mag and have branched out into other calibers since then.
        I would recommend checking out their website for more information.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
          Can't really help... but did watch pigman shoot a elk at around 400 with 338 lapua and dropped him like a bad habit
          Same here. That dude dropped like he had been deboned.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Plenty of gun for sure, but with that gun comes weight and I personally wouldn't want to be carrying that around the mountains. I over built a 7mm and it came in at 12lbs so I'm buying a lightweight 300 WBY to fill that gap as a lightweight carry rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How far are you talking?

Comment

After lots of practice and depending on opportunities, 1000 yards and over. But early on I'd imagine 600 to maybe 800.

Comment

Some of this long range shooting stuff cracks me up. It don't matter if you kill it at 1000 yards or not, you still gotta walk over there and get it!

Comment

I'm shooting a savage 110ba in .338 for someone, and with the brake on it, it is fun to shoot. I'd put it at .270 recoil, and the brake is not obnoxious to the shooter at all. They make it in anew HS precision version as well.
                    That being said, one of the previous posts is correct. Unless you just have to have it, I'd look at a .300 or 7mm variant. There are a couple options in a 168 grain 7mm that are plenty, as well as off the shelf. 300 's

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                      Some of this long range shooting stuff cracks me up. It don't matter if you kill it at 1000 yards or not, you still gotta walk over there and get it!
                      Oh there'll be various options available for retrieval, except up on the mountains. If we can't get a tractor to it, we'll drag it out on a sled with a four wheeler or horse if need be. Plenty of means there to get it done. Not worried about that.

Comment

I bought the 338 Lapua last month and the recoil isn't that bad. I actually like shooting it. Not sure if you ever shot one before but if you are in the Houston area and would like to shoot mine to see if it will work for you. You are more than welcome too.

Comment

.338's don't kick that bad unless you build an 8lb rifle with no brake on it.

I wouldn't recommend a pad between rifle and shoulder due to inconsistency with rifle placement.

To answer your original question, a .338 is plenty of energy for anything except dangerous game where there are minimum caliber is .375

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
                            I bought the 338 Lapua last month and the recoil isn't that bad. I actually like shooting it. Not sure if you ever shot one before but if you are in the Houston area and would like to shoot mine to see if it will work for you. You are more than welcome too.
                            Thank you sir. Sure appreciate the offer. Very kind of you.

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                            .338's don't kick that bad unless you build an 8lb rifle with no brake on it.

I wouldn't recommend a pad between rifle and shoulder due to inconsistency with rifle placement.

To answer your original question, a .338 is plenty of energy for anything except dangerous game where there are minimum caliber is .375
                            Good to know. Yeah I definitely don't want a super light version in this caliber. I'm used to lugging around heavy things, so it won't be a bother to carry it on horseback or whatever. Some of the four wheelers have tracks for snow and might haul the rifle on one at times. I'll only be using this caliber in NA.

Comment

I use a 7mm Rem mag with a 160 gr. bullet and it's plenty of gun at 1000 yards . . . as long as you can hit what you're aiming at!!

Comment

Working...
                              X