Draw Hunt Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw Hunt Questions

Y’all don’t flame me for this cause I know there are multiple TPWD draw hunt threads... however, I feel like my questions are somewhat unique and I did a quick search to no avail.

If you apply for hunts with multiple applicants on the same ticket... does each person have to pay the license fee of $130 (or whatever it is) or is it that the total for everyone?

Second, if there are two people on the same ticket and it gets drawn... what if one of the guys can’t make it? Can one of the guys just pay the single $130 fee and get to hunt by himself? In other words, does it make a difference if both people show up or not? Sometimes life gets in the way and it’s be a bummer if you had to miss out on a hunt cause your buddy’s schedule wouldn’t line up for one reason or another. It would suck equally as much if you had to pay another $130 to cover that spot.

Lastly, if you apply together and get drawn together... do you have to hunt together (as one spot) or does the second guy count as a second hunter? So for some hunts... would we get two compartments or just one?

If I am not mistaken...

1) Each pays the permit/license fee when drawn if I am understanding your question correctly
    2) That is fine and the hunter who can attend still gets to hunt (now the loyalty point scenario for the other guy who cannot go is unknown from my end and someone else will have to chime in)
    3) One compartment.

Comment

I wouldn't think you would have to hunt together, both paid for a spot. My dad and I drew the Laguna Atascosa hunt and we didn't hunt together. It wasn't a compartment hunt though.

Comment

1, yes. you both have to pay
        2.If one can't make it he doesn't pay but loses his preference points. You still pay for your self and hunt your assigned blind or compartment. If its a sufficiently large compartment they may ask if its ok to put another person with you if you are by yourself.
        3. If its assigned compartments, you hunt one compartment together. if it is assigned blinds, you each get a blind.

Comment

I’d assume hunting one compartment together can be beneficial. I hunted fort boggy a few years ago and had a fairly large compartment to hunt. Having a buddy or two to help cover ground would have definitely increased odds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

About the only thing I can add is IF you and your group get drawn, you will have about 10 days to get the payment in once you receive the e-mail. And would be $130 for each or whatever it is. Now, if they know then they can't make the hunt that could be 2 months away, why in the hell would you put them on your card!!!!
            Last year I drew a hunt at the Chap. I included 2 other guys. I told them I needed $130 from each by X day cause I was sending in my payment then with or without them. They paid me the money. But when the hunt came up, they bailed on me at the last minute. All I can say, I had fun hunting that place!!!

Comment

Fee is per person. I usually pay for my BIL when we put in together.

If multiple people are drawn and one can't hunt the rest can submit their permit fees but everyone's points go to zero. If you pay the permit fee and can't go you lose the permit fee and the points. Been there done that.

If the hunt is by compartment you can be in separate stands or hunt together. If it is by stand you will be in separate stands but could hunt together. A lot of it is going to depend on the hunt manager.

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas

Comment

1. Everyone each, on the ticket pays the $130. If 4 people then it would be $520
                  2. Only the person who attends the hunt pays, if the other decided he/she can't go. The don't have to submit fees. However, if fees have been submitted and later one person decides not to go, you get NO refund.
                  3. A compartment would get awarded to everyone on the same ticket, no separate compartments. If preassigned blind, then every individual on the application get their own separate assigned blind.

Comment

Originally posted by lordvader View Post
                    1. Everyone each, on the ticket pays the $130. If 4 people then it would be $520
                    2. Only the person who attends the hunt pays, if the other decided he/she can't go. The don't have to submit fees. However, if fees have been submitted and later one person decides not to go, you get NO refund.
                    3. A compartment would get awarded to everyone on the same ticket, no separate compartments. If preassigned blind, then every individual on the application get their own separate assigned blind.
                    Thanks for the clarification. Exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

I don't quite understand the groups/permits thing. Say a hunt offers 10 permits. They draw an application out of the hat with 4 names on it. Does that remove 4 permits from the pot, or 1? What if 9 permits have been drawn and the last application out of the hat has 4 hunters on it?

I have heard your odds go up the more people you have on your apps, but that doesn't quite make sense to me...

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                        I don't quite understand the groups/permits thing. Say a hunt offers 10 permits. They draw an application out of the hat with 4 names on it. Does that remove 4 permits from the pot, or 1? What if 9 permits have been drawn and the last application out of the hat has 4 hunters on it?

I have heard your odds go up the more people you have on your apps, but that doesn't quite make sense to me...
                        In your scenario. 10 permits, card pulled with 4 names, that removes 4 permits. in the 9 permits pulled and the last pulled has 4 names, they discard that and pull until they have a single. My understanding, most if not all areas will not exceed the permits listed on the initial draw, especially hunts by assigned blind.

And group size doesn't really change the odds. Whether it's you alone on a card or you and three pals on one. You could potentially get a benefit if you have one loyalty point and apply with a buddy who has ten so you end up with an average of 5.

Comment

Originally posted by SamSowell View Post
                          In your scenario. 10 permits, card pulled with 4 names, that removes 4 permits. in the 9 permits pulled and the last pulled has 4 names, they discard that and pull until they have a single. My understanding, most if not all areas will not exceed the permits listed on the initial draw, especially hunts by assigned blind.

And group size doesn't really change the odds. Whether it's you alone on a card or you and three pals on one. You could potentially get a benefit if you have one loyalty point and apply with a buddy who has ten so you end up with an average of 5.
                          So then statistically speaking, submitting as a group would actually lower the odds of being drawn (forget loyalty points here). In your scenario, that means all groups of 4 are discarded for permit #8 (since there are only 3 spots left), all groups of 3 or more are eliminated for #9, and all groups of 2 or more are discarded for the last permit. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
                            So then statistically speaking, submitting as a group would actually lower the odds of being drawn (forget loyalty points here). In your scenario, that means all groups of 4 are discarded for permit #8 (since there are only 3 spots left), all groups of 3 or more are eliminated for #9, and all groups of 2 or more are discarded for the last permit. Right?
                            That's correct. But I still apply with others. I figure if my app gets tossed due to that I'll never know anyway, and I'd rather hunt with my brother or friends anyway.

Comment

Not always true for your scenarios. You need to look in the catalog and you will see that the listed WMA has either Permits or Groups selected on the left hand side. Then the number of hunters per application specifies how big the group can be.

The biologists know how many animals they want, or will allow, to be taken.

Comment

Working...
                              X