8 Point Genetics Question - Area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
    Appreciate your response. Do you see them putting on multi-tined frames after 3 or 4 or do most 8’s stay 8’s when they turn 4 and older.

And I do understand that in you part of the state it’s much harder to establish a history with deer do to above average pressure.

Rwc
    As they get older, yes, more points grow in.

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
      I'd say the majority of the deer in the "herd" that I'm hunting in SETX (Jefferson/Chambers Counties), once they make it to 3-4 years old have exceeded just a slick 8 point. With that being said, I have a killed a big (147" slick 8 point) in Jefferson County. One genetic that I've noticed with these SETX deer are throwing really odd points/racks the older they get. One particular property there are deer that will start having pretty large base point growths, upwards of 4-5 points coming off the bases and another property I have seen quite a few deer with drop tines in years past.

To answer the question though, out of say 10-12 mature bucks I see in a season across a couple different properties, maybe 2 of them will be large, slick 8 points that are 4 year olds or over.
      Impressive numbers, along with impressive deer.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
        Best quote I have ever heard was God made all deer to be 8 pts, anything more than that is just a bonus. I love me some big framed out 8s. Lots of places would be better off letting there deer get old than they would shooting all the 2-3 year old 8 pt deer off. Can't shoot big deer if you don't let them get some age. But lots of folks ***** about never seeing any big deer but shoot every 100 pt 3 year old 8 pt they see instead of letting them put on another 2-3 years of age and growth on. Way to much emphasis put on genetics in this state by folks on place to small to actually manage their herd.
        I agree I have seen so many slick 8s at 3 become absolute giants at 6 . With most of them getting a g4 on at least one side and some kickers here and there !

Comment

I'm not in your areas ... but... by the time our deer are 2 they're at least an 8 if not more. At 3 most, I'd say 80 percent are 9 points or more.

I don't pay a whole lot attention to points per say, but their frame and length get my attention.

Comment

What’s your point ?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
              As they get older, yes, more points grow in.
              Not necessarily all the time. My deer from last year was a mainframe 10 through 6 yo. Turned into a mainframe 9 at 7, and a mainframe 8 at 8. No injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                What’s your point ?
                If your question is directed at me, I am not trying to make a point. Just asked a question in an attempt to better understand certain areas of the state as it relates to typical horn characteristics vs grounds I have. No hidden undertone or agenda.

Appreciate all that responded.

Mexico, typical horn characteristics of deer south of the river are another animal all together. Most of you guys down there that are fortunate to hunt free ranging grounds that are owned by land owners that have the same goal of growing big deer as you all do, play in another league vs most of us.

Rwc

Comment

In our little part of Maverick County very few 3 yr olds have less than 9 pts.

Comment

Originally posted by B&C View Post
                    In our little part of Maverick County very few 3 yr olds have less than 9 pts.
                    Yes sir, I hunted a place in Maverick County back in the early 2000's located on the back side of the Kickapoo Nation land off FM 1572, and my experience was the same.

Appreciate it.
                    Rwc
                    Last edited by Rwc; 08-05-2020, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
                      Not necessarily all the time. My deer from last year was a mainframe 10 through 6 yo. Turned into a mainframe 9 at 7, and a mainframe 8 at 8. No injuries.
                      His question was about mainframe 8pts.

Depending on the deer and I am in the camp that a 7 year old is not old, sure they could diminish, but, to answer his question, yes where we hunt 8pts as they age can and usually gain a point or two after age 5.

The 10pt in your case, did he gain mass or length?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        His question was about mainframe 8pts.

Depending on the deer and I am in the camp that a 7 year old is not old, sure they could diminish, but, to answer his question, yes where we hunt 8pts as they age can and usually gain a point or two after age 5.

The 10pt in your case, did he gain mass or length?
                        Well, technically he became a mainframe 8. I do understand what you're saying though. A true mainframe 8 genetic.

He did add length and mass, but lost 2 tines. He was probably just shy of 170" at his peak as a 10, and scored 164 7/8" as a mainframe 8.
                        Last edited by ACCURACYINC; 08-05-2020, 09:40 AM. Reason: ...

Comment

Only 8's we let live past 4 are the exceptional specimens. I'd say at 4 years old roughly 30% of our bucks are points or less. Don't need to keep feeding them when there are better bucks willing to eat the feed.

Comment

Well, technically he became a mainframe 8. I do understand what you're saying though. A true mainframe 8 genetic.

He did add length and mass, but lost 2 tines. He was probably just shy of 170" at his peak as a 10, and scored 164 7/8" as a mainframe 8.
                            Had to go back and look at your last years hammertoad! Now I remember, again great deer.

Rwc.

Comment

165" 8pt is like a dream for me. Oh man, that's the equivalent of a 180 or larger 10. Wow

Comment

Working...
                              X