Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 160class View Post
    Oh I understand completely what you're saying, but I've heard of people paying a lot more for a bull or cow they shot than what was initially paid

As long as both parties are honest with each other nothing to get too into it over
    You hit the nail right on the head. We were all good.

Comment

i know a guy who has been on a ranch with elk and was allowed to shoot 1 cow. he shot one and it ran off, "didnt think i hit it" he says. So he shot another. Walked up to 2 dead cow.

the year before he was allowed to shoot an 8, killed a 3.5 year old 10. Year before, killed a 4.5 year old 9. rough! landowner was extremely gracious....

i would like a shot at his place too and for what he wants me to shoot!

Comment

I took Kody (catchemifyoucan) out to hunt last season on a private property around the grasslands to try and kill his first deer. This was a property my step dad and his brother had previously owned and sold to some fellars in Dallas for a tax write off to them. Well they continued to allow us to hunt, but my step uncle I guess had leased some of the hunting rights to a friend of his and allowed him to hunt with us. Well me and Kody showed up, and I had intended on putting him in a different stand, but Kody left his quiver full of arrows at the house. Since it was too late to go back and get them I just set him in a stand close to where I was, in which was the leasee's stand. Keep in mind he was not hunting, just observing at this point. Well the leasee showed up, and wound up kicking him out of the tree and wound up being a way bigger deal than what it was. Lol no deer shot though!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          My guests hunt in the blind with me... They do not shoot unless I approve of the shot... Been burned before... never again!
          Us too. We started by pretty much trusting guys on their stated abilities. Mistakes were made and then we progressed to showing pictures and videos of specific deer and even that didn't work.

Now they hunt with someone or they don't hunt.

The straw that broke our back was a high 150s eleven point that was 4.5ish. By this point pretty much every one on the lease had seen him and let him go to see what he became. We talked about him over camp fires and about his potential.

We brought a client to hunt for the weekend. Put him in a specific stand for a management 9 and showed him 20 minutes of video of the deer he was after. We hear the shot and go to pick him up and it's not the 9 but the up and comer. We asked why he shot this buck and he said, "When he stepped out I knew that he was a no doubter."

The only no doubt about it was that he would never hunt with us again and we'd never let anyone hunt by themselves again.

Comment

Invited a co-worker to hunt with us many years ago and he said he wanted to hunt on the ground. I was a little hesitant but agreed and told him to hunt the creek down from camp and do not go past the fork in the creek. I figured he would dress out in camo and we hunted away from the creek so no problem.
            We come in from the moring hunt and another hunter says he spotted this guy walking through the woods decked out in hunter orange, head to toe. Then another hunter said he had seen him too, along with a 3rd hunter spotting him. He had crossed the creek and walked a pretty good circle through the lease and finally walked back into camp after lunch. He had an old hand warmer in his pocket that was activating some kind of urine scent that made him completely unbearable, even down wind.
            I had a good talk with him about deer lease rules and creek forks and how lucky he was that he didn't get shot. We put him in a box stand that evening and told him not to get down until we picked him up. He went home after the evening hunt, empty handed, and was never invited back.

Comment

A buddy and I went hunting with a vendor out near Junction years ago. We were told that any mature deer. We spent hours with this guy showing us pictures of deer bodies and charts and quizzing us. Every Place I have ever hunted has been a ranch that emphasized Maturity, so I understood the expectations. My friend had lived his entire life in the "if it's brown, put it down" comunity, so he was lacking a bit in the deer aging department.

The morning of the first hunt I see several nice deer that are 4.5 yo, but I don't shoot. The vendor picks me up and we arrive at the next stand to find my friend beaming about having a doe in the cooler. The stand was on a ridge line with the feeder about 125 yards away in a valley and it took about 15 minutes to get down to it. When we arrived we found a long yearling 9 point that went 105" 105" at 1.5 yo!!! The vendor didn't say a word for about an hour. When we got back to camp we jaw boned it for confirmation. Yup, it's a tiny little baby deer with all the potential in the world.

I was too embarrased to shoot anything after that and passed on several really nice deer that hunt. I have not hunted with either of them since...

Comment

My Gramps (grew up and lived in Great Falls, Montana) used to tell me a story about two New York city slicker reporters flew in to do a story on the Hungry Horse Dam in Montana. I believe the **** had just been completed. While there they thought they would try out some elk hunting. A land owner gave or sold them cow elk tags and gave them a map of an area of his property they could hunt. They drove to a valley on the property and started hunting. Well they showed up later that evening with their "cow elk". They shot, and quartered two of the land owners mules.

Its been a long time since I heard him tell that story, sure miss visiting and listening to all the stories.

Comment

Originally posted by GTXHUNTER88 View Post
                  Sweiny shoots the wrong deer at the Perlitz Ranch - YouTube
                  my favorite video. But ya have had a few mistakes I don't get too angry at them I'm more of a well...what's done is done...good kill man type of guy. or hit them with the $1,500 fine for breaking management rules...depends on the person
                  If that's the video i'm thinking of, it's funny as all get out!

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                    My favorite part about it was that once someone shoots a cow it becomes a prized cow and costs soo much money!! They aren't worth that much if you don't shoot them!!

And idk how you can do that either!

I take it you haven't bought any cattle lately.

Comment

Ok, I will fall on my sword and admit I was "that guy" one time. I did not start deer hunting until I was in my mid 20's (man, that's 30 years ago!) I was still very green and was invited to go to Jim Hogg County to a friend's family ranch - my first trip to south Texas. All he told me was "don't shoot a buck unless it is mature" - without specifying what that meant. Heck to me, mature meant "has big antlers!" First morning I blasted a 10 point with the biggest rack I had ever seen that was not hanging on a wall somewhere. My buddy came to get me - I was standing there about to bust with pride until I saw the look on his face. I said "he's a shooter, right?" He just stared at it - and me - and finally said "well, it looks like it was a shooter for you, so I guess so" I soon was told that the buck was only 2.5. Once it was explained to me I felt about 1" tall. He invited me back the next year but I was so paranoid I passed on some mature bucks I probably could have shot. I only shot a doe - I KNEW I could properly identify one of those!
                      Last edited by jerp; 11-13-2013, 03:20 PM.

Comment

This seems appropriate here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5_U_wrYduE"]Jerry Clower - Bird Hunting At Uncle Versies - YouTube[/ame]
                        Last edited by akey; 11-13-2013, 03:23 PM.

Comment

This thread is awesome

Comment

Originally posted by scissorhands View Post
                            this video cracks me up.

http://youtu.be/CmnFLk7Jlp8
                            LOL, I have not seen that one in awhile, laugh every time.."Boy you are a dumb*****."

Comment

Me, my brother in law and two friends got permission to hunt a ranch around Throckmorton. The owner only bird hunted and did not hunt deer. We were given the green light to shoot only MATURE deer. This was a free hunt for opening rifle weekend and all we had to do was buy corn for a few feeders. One of my friends had never killed a deer and we spent all night explaining how to tell if a deer was mature. He says he understands. Opening morning I watch a couple of nice young 8 points wander by. They were good young deer. About 8:00 am I hear the 30-06 bark. I thought alright, my buddy got him a good one. Well I get over there to see his monster and it is a basket rack yearling 8 with maybe a 5 inch spread. The owner was none to happy and we were never invited back. To top it my truck broke down and we were stuck there another day and we had eaten and drank everything we brought. But I have to say, that young deer's backstrap was mighty tasty that last night :-)

Comment

Originally posted by akey View Post
                                HAHAHA! That's about right!

Comment

Working...
                                X