Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

If you draw a compound bow at 30" what would your draw length be on a traditional bow?

One really can't guess that one. Stance, posture, and anchor point are more variable than with a compound. If you can go to a shop or have a buddy measure your draw. It will change as you find the style you are most comfortable. Measure again. That will change as you shoot more.

Most people I have shot with of average stature draw around 27" give or take an inch. In other words the bell curve centers on 27 with 80% of folks (in my experience) falling between 26 and 28".

Comment

You can lose over an inch just by changing from a high wrist grip to a low wrist grip. so even the grip has some thing to do with it.

Comment

In my case it was about 1 inch. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

To add: Draw length makes little difference, except how short you cut an arrow. I'll admit my draw can be all over the map in real world shooting. By that I mean not focused on form, not standing on the firing line, or shooting with friends. If I draw 26 inches instead of 27, or even 25.5, it only makes a few pounds of pull difference. That may make my shot drop low by an inch or two at 20 yards. But it still produces a good hit. That is why anchor point is so important. Consistency.

However, the up down is not so important as the left right in traditional shooting. Worry about that first. Then as your form stabilizes, you can dial in your draw length and tune your shafts to be very consistent. Don't be overly concerned with your exact draw length or weight when first starting out.

To draw a bit of analogy to golf, many guys worry about their drive and spend a lot of time and money at the driving range. When really more strokes are saved and lost in one's short game, but rarely do they practice chipping and putting. My point is don't be too worked up about super tuning (weight, draw length, etc...) until you have worked on the basics. Pick up a bow and let it be fun.

But to your question, the only way you will know is to measure a shaft on a bent bow several times and take the average.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
            In my case it was about 1 inch. Your mileage may vary.
            Same here

Comment

Yep, I draw a compound to 30". With my sticks....29"

Comment

It happens that my draw length is the same but I shot a compound with fingers.

Comment

My draw length on a compound is 30" and on my sticks it is around 29 3/4". All I shoot for the moment are recurves but when I've shot a longbow I notice my draw shortens up a little. So, I'm guessing Draco is on to something. At least something I've never taken into consideration.

Comment

Like others have said, it is all about form. With a compound and a release and where I chose to anchor, I was 27.5" With a recurve and where I chose to anchor, I am at 27"

Comment

As said above, the high wrist and low wrist grips make a difference. But also the type of bow and window can make a difference. When I went from recurve to long bow my arrow length could have decreased a inch due to the riser being so much thiner.

At that time I didn't release my shot until the broadhead touched my left index finger, so it took some adjustment to switch from longbow to recurve and back again.

I would recommend you start a little long on arrow length because as mentioned above your draw length may vary as you settle in to your comfort zone.

I don't know what my compound draw length would be.

Comment

Thanks guys I have been thinking of trying a recurve and you all have given me some food for thought. Thanks

Comment

You don't really need to know your draw length to get started, as unlike compounds, trad bows have no set draw length, it will only change the pounds of draw...normally a couple per inch roughly.

Comment

Working...
                          X