Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone off to Chapparal WMA this weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone off to Chapparal WMA this weekend?

My son was drawn, so we will be there. Long drive, but we are in it for the experience. Should be good Sunday AM.

Good luck there are some great deer there. I've put in for 34 years and never drawn but I been picked as a standby. Corn, corn, corn ....

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
      Good luck there are some great deer there. I've put in for 34 years and never drawn but I been picked as a standby. Corn, corn, corn ....
      Seriously? 34 years? That is crazy. My 7 points dont mean sheet lol.

Comment

Will do. They said they have stands for us to hunt if we don't bring a pop-up blind. No sure which we will do yet. No tree stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
          Will do. They said they have stands for us to hunt if we don't bring a pop-up blind. No sure which we will do yet. No tree stands.
          They've had 2 previous youth hunts at the Chap the past 2 weekends. Noticed success rate hasn't been the highest but most of the youth stands (elevated boxes) have probably had alot of corn spread around them the past 2 weeks. Should be drawing some deer & javelina in the areas around the stands. Best of luck to your kiddo.

Comment

Use the stands they have set up. You'll have a way better view at height.

Our corn was barely touched, may you have better success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was there last weekend. My daughter took one of only seven deer taken during that hunt. It was super green there, and the doe she took was full of green grass. I put out 40 lbs of corn on Saturday afternoon, and it was pretty much all still there on Sunday morning. The doe she took was the only deer we saw the entire hunt. I just don't think they have to move much to find good food this year. Good luck.

Comment

My son and I will be there this weekend. Planning on bringing a popup just in case but with all the corn that's been thrown out the tower blind might be best bet like Winslow said.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                  @Dennis...They just don't want you to get drawn like my dad. He has over 20 preference points in the Exotic category.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishxbones View Post
                    My son and I will be there this weekend. Planning on bringing a popup just in case but with all the corn that's been thrown out the tower blind might be best bet like Winslow said.

Bring a pop up is a good idea. You may not use it but we were there last weekend and in a fairly tall blind and could see almost a 1000 yds one way and 300 the other. Had 1 buck and 6 doe all cross the road around 400-500 yards out and if we had a pop up we could have set up near there for the next sit. Nice to have the option. We still had success as nephew got a pig. My son with my other nephew got a doe. They saw 4 doe Saturday. We were fortunate and saw more than most. We were in the northeast corner of East Blocker pasture. In first 2 weekends only 12 doe taken. The hot weather has not helped. Looks like Saturday hot again but Sunday morning will cool off some. Good luck to all

Comment

Working...
                    X