AC parts Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC parts Question

Is it common for a 5yr old Amana unit to have a bad evaporator coil? Seems awful early for that to be happening. The fan and control board are supposedly bad too. It’s all under warranty, just seems early for those type issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it’s not common at all. Now with that being said if it’s under warranty including labor why the hell not. Otherwise someone is just looking for winter work. Over 25 years in the business here. If you ask I’ll shoot ya straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Crappie View Post
      No it’s not common at all. Now with that being said if it’s under warranty including labor why the hell not. Otherwise someone is just looking for winter work. Over 25 years in the business here. If you ask I’ll shoot ya straight.
      Thanks, I'm gonna have him replace all but the coils. tried to say the pressure was low, so there is a leak. I don't buy it. He replaced the fan the other day, and when he turned it on it froze up outside pretty quick. I think it something else, e just didn't know what he's doing

Comment

When you say froze up outside I’m assuming this is a heat pump? What was the temp outside

Comment

I meant the copper line going into the outside unit was iced up, he was trying to run the ac, temp was in the 80's

Comment

Like so many of the trades, a good A/C guy is relatively rare, and worth his weight in gold. But they are out there.

Comment

Sounds like you do have a leak. With it being 5 years old I doubt you are still under the labor warranty as well. Sounds like he was just changing parts to see what made it work and now he has located the real issue. Hard to say. I'd be calling someone else to take a look at it.

Comment

My family had an AC company for 20+ years and we sold some lower end Goodman/Amana equipment when necessary. Amana does offer a 10 year parts and labor warranty if you filled out all the paperwork. Amana like train/American standard have aluminum coils in both condenser and evap coils. Leaks generally occur where the aluminum meets up with copper or at the sweated joints. You get “champagne bubbles”. Is it possible for this to have a leak? Yes, because copper is expensive a lot of supply houses use Mexican copper. If they are going to fix all of this under warranty with labor too, **** let em replace the whole **** unit.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Could be a few things- valve could be stuck from where it was grazed- leak- fill it when AC was not under load and never get it pressured right- if you don't like what you are hearing call someone else

Comment

Not uncommon at all. Its Amana.

Comment

Since it was under warranty, we went ahead and replaced the parts. They’re still charging us like $350. Changed the coils, fan control board and and maybe one other thing. Still seems high with a warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                          Since it was under warranty, we went ahead and replaced the parts. They’re still charging us like $350. Changed the coils, fan control board and and maybe one other thing. Still seems high with a warranty?
                          Are you going through a home warranty company? If the unit had a parts and labor warranty it should have been covered. Also you mentioned having the fan replaced. I have seen it where a blower fails causing the evap coil to freeze up creating a leak in the coil.

Comment

Originally posted by JEG8233 View Post
                            Are you going through a home warranty company? If the unit had a parts and labor warranty it should have been covered. Also you mentioned having the fan replaced. I have seen it where a blower fails causing the evap coil to freeze up creating a leak in the coil.

Not using a home warranty company, just the units warranty. I’ll ask about the labor part of it.

Comment

Not unusual for a coil to leak at all. Any brand.

Comment

Working...
                              X