First Lite Layering for Texas Treestand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Lite Layering for Texas Treestand

I have become obsessed with building a complete FL system for myself. I know there are other companies out there but I like FL and want to spend my money with them.

At the moment I have the following for my base layer:
    Llano 170g Crew Top
    Chama 230g Quarter Zip
    Allegheny 230g Bottoms

What FL items would you add to make the perfect Oct - Jan Texas treestand bowhunting system.

I have the same stuff but my chama is the hoodie. I also have the neck gaiter that i can pull over my ears. But i put other camo over the top mine.

Comment

I stocked up on all First Lite gear for my Alaskan Moose Hunt. What I found that worked well when we were stopped and gassing was the Alagheny base layer bottoms under the Corrogate Pants. I never felt like I needed a third base layer for the bottoms. The Corrogate Pants fit just right and have a lot of stretch in all the right areas. As for the top, I wore a Chama base layer, then layered the Llano for my second layer. I love the Llano with the hoody. I then added the Compagh"who knows how to finish spelling it" puffy jacket. It cut the wind down and ended up being really warm. I could wear this combo while sitting in one place for 8 hours, no problem. I did the billed beanie, with another regular beanie on top and the balaclava too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks TxTyler

Lots of good info there!

Comment

Originally posted by justin81 View Post
          Thanks TxTyler

Lots of good info there!
          NP Justin. I used my Llano and the Corrogate pants every day. The pants are awesome. I also have the Sawtooth top layer which is really nice as well.

Comment

Woodbury jacket is a solid outer layer for late season cold days. Sawtooth hybrid jacket is a solid mid layer pretty much all season.

Comment

Can't beat the kanabs or the corrogates. I would also get the Chama with the hood and the un whatever vest. Just a heads up, black ovis merino is just as nice and it's a lot cheaper. Been getting some really good deals on camofire.

Comment

I own a LOT of FL gear and have hunted it in a good bit. I have hunted elk and sheep in it for the past 2 years and hunted whitetails in it a ton. I will give you my experience.

Merino is an unbeatable material for next to skin. And in my opinion, that is where it's usefuleness ends. It is a horrible insulator. It is heavy and it is expensive. Insulation comes from loft. Merino pieces just do not have enough loft. Synthetic does. I will take my $20 fleece vest over my $140 merino springer vest any day. The first year I elk hunted in merino, I spent an evening sitting in a meadow where we had seen elk the previous evening. I was wearing a llano, chama, labrador, and springer. I almost froze to death with temps above freezing. That's about $500 worth of kit on my upper body. I had the first lite puffy with me but did not put it on because it makes some noise when you draw your bow and I was anticipating a close shot. The puffy is bad to the bone. Fantastic piece of gear but too loud for whitetails, though a friend took a buck wearing one last year.

I do like the kanabs. I will not wash them until they are crusty with dried blood. They will not develop odor. They provide no insulation though. I will add the allegheny bottoms if temps are below 40.

So my whitetail system is kanabs (w allegheny bottoms as needed), llano only if its hot, solid color SS minaret under llano if it is cooler (gives me the option to not look like jack wagon in full camo if I need to stop in town after), sitka core heavyweight hoody, cheap fleece vest. That will get to about freezing temps. I hunted a few mornings this year when it was 26 and I was ok but could have been warmer. Almost no wind. It temps are below freezing I will usually break out the woodbury jacket. That is a great jacket. If they would make woodbury bibs, I would buy them. The sanctuary ones are too hot for here.

I sold my labrador and need to sell my chama and springer.

Comment

I concur that black Ovis merino is good stuff, however it isn’t as soft and has a funny smell to it... but I would not doubt buy more. Especially as you can get super deals through camofire.

Im absolutely in love with my BO boxers, FL Allegheny 230 bottoms, Minus 33 q zip top, FL neck gaiter, and FL cuffed beanie.

The uncomphagre puffy is an incenerator but they are noisy, I’d be looking at the kuiu super down for warmth, weight and sound.
                  The new FL sawtooth would be really nice for chilly mornings also!

Comment

For Stand Hunting...

Llano is a good base if it's warm out. If it's not I'd use a synthetic base (I use the Cabelas Brand)

I like the FL Fleece for when it gets a little cooler as a 2nd layer. Some people like the Chama but I feel the fleece is warmer, and if you're not moving it won't matter how much it breaths.

When it gets cold I love the Sanctuary. It's absolutely silent and very toasty.

Corrugate are good for pants but I would use the Kanabs. When it gets cooler just put a synthetic under layer on underneath. I use the Corrugates cause I don't have Kanabs but the Kanabs are quieter. Nothing wrong with the Corrugates though, a little better in crappy weather too..

Just remember synthetic bases are way better when sitting...

Comment

early season I love their wilkin aerowool top, I do have some of the Cabela's bases but if you don't catch them on a good sale I don't think they're worth the cost. I have some bottoms I bought at Costco because I forgot to pack mine on a CO fishing trip in Feb and they Costco brand felt just as good as the cabela's brand

I do want to pick up some of the obsidian pants when they restock sizes
                      Last edited by hooligan; 12-18-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

FL will have 30 plus new clothing items at the Dallas Safari Club Show this weekend. Sounds like they are coming out with a new Merino blend I believe. Might be worth looking in to...

Comment

All my merino wool base layers (I have FL and Core4Element) have shrunk big time. If I buy some more it will be at least one size larger (maybe two).

Comment

Blackovis will no longer be carrying First Lite and has a 25% off sale going on right now in case anybody is in the First Lite purchasing mood

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                              All my merino wool base layers (I have FL and Core4Element) have shrunk big time. If I buy some more it will be at least one size larger (maybe two).
                              Agreed with this. I have FL base layers and the pants have definitely shrunk on me. Will buy a size bigger next time.

Comment

Working...
                              X