Well I went and did it....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I went and did it....

I'm officially gonna give Traditional a try...ordered me a Samick Sage, and all the trimmin's with it (bear hair rest, plate, 3finger under tab, puff silencers) and a doz gold tip traditional carbon arrows...45# model...
    I'm excited about it...I shoot a Z7 and have been for the last 3 years, haven't killed anything buy time and an armadillo once...
    Like I said though, I'm excited about it cause it looks very minimal in the sense that it's a stick and string thing...no release to have to clip on..etc..
    Got a buddy on here that's doing the same only he's a more accomplished slayer with his compound bow, and has already taken a doe with his PSE Mustang recurve...I guess we gonna be learnin' together...

Congrats - you are going to love it! The #1 advice you will hear around here is to find some experienced traditional archers to shoot with - it will make your climb up the trad learning curve much easier. Be patient and try to work on form - at least a little every day if possible. Have fun and welcome to the trad side!

Comment

I will add that just because it looks simple -
      "I'm excited about it cause it looks very minimal in the sense that it's a stick and string thing."
      - it is not. It is much harder to master trad shooting than compound shooting and it takes a solid dedication. That is part of what makes successes with trad sooooo rewarding though!

As John said, find some trad guys in your area to help you out. It will greatly lessen the frustration and help you advance much quicker.

Welcome to the fun side and good luck with it!

Bisch

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Just be careful about some of the advice you follow from some of the traditional crowd... LOL! They mean well, but there are a lot of guys who shoot trad. gear for the attention or the romance or nostalgia, but really don't know the first thing about how to tune or shoot them properly. If you hear something that just doesn't sound right, it probably isn't.

Enjoy your shooting. We shoot these things because we LOVE TO SHOOT, not because we love to kill. Welcome to the club man.

John

Comment

Thanks all...
            There's a pretty good group down here that are trad shooters, so finding a group to shoot with isn't gonna be too difficult. But to Bisch's point, yes, in talkin' with my immediate trad/huntin' buddy, he said the same thing, "yes it is fun...but at times frustrating..." I accept that...
            Just seems more interesting in the "rawness" if I can make up words about it...or maybe more "primitive" is what's interesting to me about it all...
            Thanks again for the welcome
            Dave

Comment

Come see me in three years or so . About that time you will be ready for a selfbow . Congrats on the move by the way.
              Last edited by Selfbowman; 10-31-2013, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Your in for some fun now. To me it's a lot more enjoyable than the compound bows, but find someone to help you get off on the right foot.
                There are some good shooters in the RGV.

Comment

Welcome to the dark side. Fun...yes, frustrating...usually, expensive...always but shooting a 3" group at 25 yds..."PRICELESS"!!

Good shoot'in.

Doug Key

Comment

Good luck and hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Comment

Have fun with it.

Comment

Welcome to the Trad side of archery. I think you'll love the simplicity of shoot traditional.

Comment

Now you can NOT kill anything the trad way.....just kiddin'. Have fun!

Comment

Welcome! Have fun, stay dedicated, and have more fun!

Comment

Working...
                            X