Family health insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family health insurance

Our company us getting bought out and our new employer doesn't provide health insurance for my family, only me.

I've searched here and on the internet and there are so many options.

What's my best options for 3 kids ages 10, 11 & 13?

Anybody having luck with the health share programs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have only heard great things about health sharing specifically Samaritans. We will most likely be switching after our son is born being that my wife's company doesn't offer insurance and the wonderful obama world costs a pretty penny and even more for her to be on mine

Comment

That sucks cause you essentially just took a 12-15k pay decrease... As you've seen the health insurance cost is SUBSTANTIAL.. with that being said.. yeah, check out cost share programs but be aware that they are not insurance. And have limitations etc... Make sure you do your research.

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
        That sucks cause you essentially just took a 12-15k pay decrease... As you've seen the health insurance cost is SUBSTANTIAL.. with that being said.. yeah, check out cost share programs but be aware that they are not insurance. And have limitations etc... Make sure you do your research.

I laugh at people who think they have this and therefore great insurance

Comment

My sister does the Christian Healthcare Ministries. It is a little work to get them to pay. You have to send them a letter stating what happened and then submit the bill. But all in all it has taken care of my nieces and nephews anything over $500.

Comment

We have MediShare. I am self employed, married with two kids. We were paying $2500.00 per month with Blue Cross. $30000.00 a year just to have insurance and on top of that the deductible before they would payout. I'm 56, the wife is 60 and the kids are 20 and 13.

So we went the MediShare route. It is not insurance but a cost sharing program. You choose the deductible and the cost is based on number of insured and the age of the oldest. Our monthly amount is now $650.00 with a $5000.00 deductible.

My wife has had a tough year, having to have had cataract surgery in both eyes. She then broke her arm. Medishare has covered all of the bills over the $5000.00 out of pocket. So our total cost for this year for the premium and the deductible will be $12800.00. Subtract that from the $30000.00 that we had been spending (also with a $5000.00 deductible) and we are still ahead by $17200.00. Another thing that is cool about the MediShare plan is that we get monthly reports as to who is sharing in our expenses and they pray for us and our needs. It's a Christian program.

It really burns me that insurance is so expensive, but I can't risk my family's financial future to be without it.

Comment

We did the Christian Healthcare Ministries for awhile and we had no issues, of course we also didnt have any claims, but i thought it was ran well.

Comment

When I was looking at the share plans I liked Liberty Share. Ended up sticking with employer but if it keeps going up I'm moving to it.
                S

Comment

Have you researched if they offer for the family but you have to pay for them?

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                  Our company us getting bought out and our new employer doesn't provide health insurance for my family, only me.

I've searched here and on the internet and there are so many options.

What's my best options for 3 kids ages 10, 11 & 13?

Anybody having luck with the health share programs?

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                    Have you researched if they offer for the family but you have to pay for them?
                    Yes they offer it. But he said it isn't cheap! I will get a quote with the new company but just trying to be proactive and explore all my options for when the time comes.

Comment

On the Medishare plans what about catastrophic coverage, ie Cancer, long hospital stays , magor medical surgeries etc.... is there a $$$ limit?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                        Yes they offer it. But he said it isn't cheap! I will get a quote with the new company but just trying to be proactive and explore all my options for when the time comes.

It may not be cheap but it may be cheaper than what you can get on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                          It may not be cheap but it may be cheaper than what you can get on your own.
                          Right. That's why I'm going to see what it'll cost me.

Comment

I assume the company is considered a small employer (less than 50 EE's) under the ACA. Otherwise, at least as long as the ACA is still in place large employers must offer coverage to EE's & Children or be subject to penalties.

A Texas judge just ruled last week that the ACA without the individual mandate which was removed in 2017, is now unconstitutional. The Act will remain in effect until the appeals process runs its course. I am not a fan of the ACA but my gut tells me this ruling will not be upheld.

Comment

OP responded they do cover family but have to pay out of pocket.

Its not common anymore that an employer covers all insurance cost on the family. We did that back in the day but times have changed.

Originally posted by Huntsman27 View Post
                              I assume the company is considered a small employer (less than 50 EE's) under the ACA. Otherwise, at least as long as the ACA is still in place large employers must offer coverage to EE's & Children or be subject to penalties.

A Texas judge just ruled last week that the ACA without the individual mandate which was removed in 2017, is now unconstitutional. The Act will remain in effect until the appeals process runs its course. I am not a fan of the ACA but my gut tells me this ruling will not be upheld.

Comment

Working...
                              X