New Bull advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Bull advice

Alright so I've always ran brangus, pure angus, and other smaller number a of various crosses but I'm wanting to try about 10-12 heifers on a new line of bull. I've got these heifers as good brangus and was thinking of getting a Santa Gertrudis, or a Charolais then take this run of calves and heifers out and sell them then use that money to buy same breed of whatever my bull is. My smaller heifers are already bred to a Japanese bull. What do y'all think should I go for the Gerts? Or the Charolais?

Santa Gertrudis bring less money than anything else except longhorns. Go English.

Comment

Get one that likes to eat rocks.

Comment

Years ago I got a really good Hereford bull from the McClatchy Brothers out of Bangs.

Comment

Run a straight Brahman and you should get some good replacements. I'd stay away from the Gert on them.

Comment

I'm thinking about a hereford to put with my angus cows. I plan to keep the heifers as replacements for my older cows.

Comment

Char on brangus or angus makes an awesome smokie. We topped a couple of sales with those calves.

Comment

I'm leaning towards the Charolais, I've got 4 straight brahma on 40 cows, and 6 brangus on 62. This are just my test group besides my butcher ones bred to that Japanese bull. I ran a longhorn bull on a few last season and they brought okay money enough to cover feed for my horses for the year.

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
                  I'm thinking about a hereford to put with my angus cows. I plan to keep the heifers as replacements for my older cows.
                  Hey Shark I would have taken that round pen off your hands if I wouldn't have lost power and thus loosing wifi haha but I'm glad someone got it, it was a good deal

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                    Hey Shark I would have taken that round pen off your hands if I wouldn't have lost power and thus loosing wifi haha but I'm glad someone got it, it was a good deal
                    Yea he's coming to pick it up this w/e. Got rid of the pen now I got to get the wife to sell the horses!

Comment

Depending out the desired outcome; replacement females or top grading steers you can't go wrong with a Hereford or black Angus. The "black hided" steers usually grade better than their crossbred counterparts. As for the females, the black baldies and black mottle face are top quality replacement females.
                      The small to moderate framed cattle have always been money makers. Good luck to you on raising top quality beef.

Comment

Char gets my vote.

Comment

We run Hereford bulls on our Brangus cows. Generally speaking your bull calves will do as good as Charolais crossed bull calves, but your heifer market will be better with baldies as compared to smokey Charolais heifers. They will sell better at the barn and you can keep your baldies to breed back to Black bulls.

Comment

If these are a "test group" you can AI them to some of the clubby bulls that are working on those type of cattle.

Comment

What I have always seen is they aren't black then your leaving money on the table. I hated that because I always loved beefmasters. They didn't have birthing problems and seemed to do well.

Comment

Working...
                              X