Timing the rut in your area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing the rut in your area

I was thinking back to a Dr. Deer article or interview I saw a few years ago about timing the rut. I did some searching and found this blog detailing the same info on timing the rut. With fawns dropping now or getting ready to drop, I thought it would help some of you out on estimating when the rut occurs in your area.

© By Othmar Vohringer “When does the whitetail deer rut occur?” This is the most frequently asked question wherever I talk to hunters. In...

Thanks!

Comment

Saving this one

Comment

From TPWD

The Rut by Geographic Areas
        Clickable eco-regions map for breeding dates

Biologists who designed the study knew there were distinct rutting periods in different parts of the state. They picked 16 study areas which were typical of the different ecological regions. The areas represent north-south or east-west distinctions. Read the descriptions and look at the map to locate your area of interest. We list the earliest and latest dates for breeding in each ecological region and a "peak" breeding date for each study area. The graphs show the percent does bred during weekly periods throughout the breeding season.

Gulf Prairies and Marshes

The earliest whitetail breeding in the state occurred in this ecological region. Breeding occurred in the period August 24 to November 25. There were two study areas: the northern study area had a peak date of September 30, while the southern area was a month later with an October 31 peak breeding date. Does showed a 92 percent breeding success and 1.6 fetuses were found on the average for each doe sampled. The majority (90%) of the fawns would have been born by May 10 in the northern area and by June 6 in the southern area.

Post Oak Savannah

The conception dates for does in this region ranged from September 30 to January 16 during the study period. Two study areas were used. The peak breeding dates for the central and southern portions were almost identical. The peak dates were November 10 and 11, respectively. Does showed a 92 percent breeding success and 1.7 fetuses were found on the average for each doe sampled. The study shows the majority (90%) of the fawns are born by June 17 in the central area and by June 26 in the southern area.

Pineywoods

Most breeding activity happened from October 21 to January 5. Peak breeding dates were November 22 in the northern portion and November 12 in the southern part of the Pineywoods. Does showed a 96 percent pregnancy rate and averaged 1.7 fawns each. The majority (90 %) of the fawns are born by June 29 in the northern area and by June 19 in the southern area.

Rolling Plains

Most does were bred from October 8 to December 30 in the three years studied. Study areas showed a peak date of December 3 in the north and November 20 in the south. The Rolling Plains had the highest incidence of pregnancy, with 97 percent. Biologists found an average of 1.7 fawns for each doe examined. The majority (90%) of the fawns are born by July 2 in the northern area and by June 26 in the southern area.

Edwards Plateau

Conception dates for this region ranged from as early as October 9 to a late date of January 30. The Edwards Plateau, Texas' highest deer production region, was divided into three areas for the study. The eastern part had a peak breeding date of November 7. Peak breeding for the central portion was November 24, and the western area had a peak date of December 5. An average of 90 percent of the does were bred and the average number of fetuses found was 1.3 per doe. The majority (90%) of the fawns are born by June 14 in the eastern area, June 26 in the central area, and by July 13 in the western area.

Cross Timbers

Representing the north-central part of the state, conception dates in the Cross Timbers and Prairies were as early as October 13 and extended to December 17. In the northern portion of the region the average breeding date was November 15. The average breeding date in the southern part was November 17. Biologists recorded an average of 1.7 fetuses per doe and 95 percent of the females had been successfully bred. The majority (90%) of the fawns are born by June 15 in the northern area and by June 20 in the southern area.

Trans-Pecos

Conception dates in the Trans-Pecos ranged from as early as November 4 to as late as January 4 during the 3-year study. The peak date of the breeding season was December 8. This ecological region experienced drought conditions during the last two years of the study. The resulting poor nutrition was reflected in the observed reproductive rates. Only 81 percent of the does were pregnant and the average number of fetuses was a low 1.0 fetuses per doe. The majority (90%) of the fawns are born by July 16.

South Texas Plains

South Texas had the latest rut in the state. Breeding dates ranged from November 9 to February 1 during the three years. In the eastern part of the area the peak breeding date was December 16, while in the west it was December 24. The pregnancy rate was 95 percent and there were 1.5 fetuses for each sampled doe. The majority (90%) of the fawns are born by July 19 in the eastern area and by July 25 in the western area.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Shot my buck with a rifle (sorry to say) last year chasing a doe at 30
            yards last year, so I know I will be in the stand that week this year. Wish I could remember what day that was....

Comment

I typically hunt 3 places. We hunt near Vancourt and the chasing peaks right on top of Thanksgiving. I have a place north of Victoria and it is all over the place. I would synth peak is mid October but the deer are confused andyou can seeing chasing as late as New Year. I also hunt in STX near Kingsville And the peak chasing is mid December and last thru about New Years. I used to hunt in Coleman County and seemed like peak chasing was early November. In each case peak chasing and first sightings of fawns essentially corresponded to the gestation cycle. It also seems like you start seeing a lot more fawns about 215 To 225 days after peak chasing. Probably due to that is when they start moving or actual breeding peak is a bit after peak chasing.

Comment

this is extremely helpful it could potentially help my odds of success

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

awesome info. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by thaTuna View Post
                      Shot my buck with a rifle (sorry to say) last year chasing a doe at 30
                      yards last year, so I know I will be in the stand that week this year. Wish I could remember what day that was....
                      Start a hunting diary.
                      I try to log all the 'once in a lifetime' experiences on a calendar.

Comment

Cam picked up a lot of chasing by the older bucks from 10/26-29 in SE Nac Co last year. Then I shot one chasing my doe decoy opening weekend of rifle.

Comment

Around here they are spot on. Late October i heats up. My whole life the most mature bucks ive seen from hear to Nacogdoches has always been late october. From way back in the 80's its been that way. Once the thunder sticks start they get scarce pdq!

Comment

Working...
                          X