Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would you spend to save a pet’s life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miket View Post
    I know its ( obviously ) common to put animals on the same level as people, and people say it regularly, but if anyone here truly believes that dogs ( or any other animal ) is equal to, or above humans, please seek help. Please.There is help for these kind of mental issues, its not your fault.
    A dog above most humans, no.

My dog above most humans, you betcha.

It’s just human nature.

Comment

Well, when our cat, Billy Jack, got bladder stones, the bill ended up north of $1000. Subsequent vet costs over his 15 year life (other then regular de-worming meds), ran upwards of $5000.

After the operation, we always referred to BJ as our grand kitty.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

It’s just human nature.
        100% agree

Comment

If he's not suffering about $250 for something that will save him, otherwise he gets the shot and goes to heaven and a new puppy is on the way.

Comment

It’s just human nature.
            X3

Jason Slocum

Comment

I am not sure what my limit will be on my current Lab. Probably more than it should be.
              She is a big part of our family's life.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                I spent $127, on shots for a dog, about 25 years ago. I still remember that amount because I only had about $300 in the bank til payday. 15 minutes after the shots, the dog jumped out of the truck and got ran over by a car and died. If I wouldn’t have taken her to the vet that day, no tellin how long she woulda lived. And I woulda saved $127.
                I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh at this..sounds like my luck.

My wife had this conversation/argument before because she was really attached to her mutt. It never came down to it but I am sure we would have spent more than I would have wanted on her. She met her demise in the road a few months ago. DOA so it didn't cost me a dime.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  I’m not sure what I would do if all I had was a biscuit eater that I didn’t do anything with but throw a stick for occasionally either. I guess it just depends.

But my past labs have had a lot of time and money invested in them for duck and dove hunting training. When you get a good one it’s more than just putting a 22 to the head and waiting for the next biscuit-eater to show so you do what you can to save them within reason.

I’m not trying to sway your thinking, I’m just explaining why I personally would put a good amount of money into one medically. That being said Abby, I mentioned earlier, was retired from all that and she went from super to “oh ****” overnight. It caught us by surprise so we took a chance hoping to get a few more years out of her considering all we had been through hunting wise in her previous 11 years. And also we have no kids to spend it on.[emoji41]

Not much better in the hunting world than a good working retriever.
                  This, I have a 10month old right now that between cost of pup, normal vet stuff, and training, we have about $7k tied up in. Given the investment so far and her young age, Id pay a pretty penny to keep her going.

Comment

I lost my Old English Bulldog almost a year ago, he was 11. If what he had was treatable, I would have spent whatever it took to get a few more months or years with him.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                      I know its ( obviously ) common to put animals on the same level as people, and people say it regularly, but if anyone here truly believes that dogs ( or any other animal ) is equal to, or above humans, please seek help. Please.There is help for these kind of mental issues, its not your fault.
                      Regardless of what others post your absolutely correct.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Hamshire View Post
                        I lost my Old English Bulldog almost a year ago, he was 11. If what he had was treatable, I would have spent whatever it took to get a few more months or years with him.

I have one now and agree. Best non working dog I’ve ever had. Still cant get her to ride on the four wheeler though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It really depends on multiple factors. On the surface, I wouldn't be willing to spend over a grand.

I've known a few people that didn't have a pot to **** in spend thousands to save an old family pet. Not smart if you ask me. I mean, you got bills you barely can pay and are willing to blow all your savings or borrow money to save a dog. Not smart imo.

I had a golden that ended up having an assist removed when he was 13 years old. The vet wanted to send it in for a biopsy. That would have cost a couple hundred. I declined. Why? Because it wouldn't have mattered. I was never going to pay for chemo treatments for my dog. He ended up living to almost 17. I still miss him, but I'm sure glad I didn't go broke over him either.

Now for Cats...hope it has 9 lives, cause I'm not spending a nickel.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                            What ever it takes!

It's just money - Life is worth way more!
                            ^ This ^ Rob you are right and I have come to know this some easy and hard ways... it is JUST money and I am not TAKING it with me.... life is short and if taking care of a pet brings me joy........... I will do it. I am actually doing it currently with a pet that has nasal cancer. It's my money and my joy. I am not married and I do not have children.... AND LET it be known, before it gets brought up, I tithe first...
                            Last edited by czechgrubworm; 01-25-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

It’s just human nature.

I'd take my pup over most humans on this planet not even a question really.
                              Not sure what my limit would be money wise. Guess it would depend on the situation age ect. My catahoula is worth a good bit in my eyes as a working dog and family member. She just recovered a deer after a 5 mile track and several bays, she's found deer that me my family my friends and their kids would have never recovered. The smile on their faces specially the kids when their deer is found is worth alot imo. Just dropped 500 on her after her last track and didn't think twice about it.

Comment

There sure a lot of people trying to justify spending large amounts of money on their pets...
                                it’s your money, and no one can tell you how to spend it. I, however, will never spend that kind of money on an animal.

Hell, I’ve already made it very clear to my wife that we won’t be burning through our retirement money or savings to keep me alive a little longer. I AM a human, and I’m not willing to spend my child’s inheritance for another few months or couple of years.
                                When it’s my time, it’s my time. Same for a pet.

I give my pets the best life I can give them, but when it comes down to it... I can give a good life to A LOT of shelter pets for the price of some of those vet bills listed above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X