GS help with age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS help with age

Want to see what your opinions are. He is not what we are looking to harvest this year anyways so he is getting a pass one way or the other but I feel he is 5.5 but that gut throws me off every time I look at the pics. I have never seen this deer in person in the 3 years I have had the place to be able to tell and don’t recall pics of him last year either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to me to be a 5.5 year old protein pig.

Comment

Comment

He is a protein hog for sure he does not leave my protein pens very often until now.

Comment

5.5 and maybe older

Comment

I'd say 6.5 easily. Still safe to let him walk, but wouldn't expect a whole lot more from him next year IMO.

Comment

6.5 was my first thought, but I don't look at many deer on protien

Comment

Easy 5.5.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyeB View Post
                  I'd say 6.5 easily. Still safe to let him walk, but wouldn't expect a whole lot more from him next year IMO.

Would you not expect much from him because of his age or do you feel his frame will not allow more growth? Or do you feel he’s just maxed out?

Comment

Originally posted by Ricochet83 View Post
                    Would you not expect much from him because of his age or do you feel his frame will not allow more growth? Or do you feel he’s just maxed out?

I'd say just that he's maxed out. If he's 6.5 he's had 3 seasons where the protein is going to his horns and not body growth, and if he's a heavy protein eater this is probably as good as it gets.

I doubt he loses anything at 7.5 though so it doesn't hurt to let him walk. If I'm wrong and he's 5.5 you might get more from him next year. Assuming of course you can guarantee his safety.

You'd have to compare him to other deer in your herd though. On my place that guy would be an old buck.

Comment

Comment

5.5 and pregnant.....take him off.

Comment

Ha ha ha looks like he’ll be dropping his fawns Any day now

Comment

Working...
                          X