Not many of these old ferries left...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not many of these old ferries left...

Was just thinking about home today. This is a interesting old ferry that is only 1 of 2 left in operation in Alabama. I would like to see some more since this is and the modern ones down in Mobile Bay, are the only ones that I have seen. Alabama River, diesel engine, paddle wheel, fixed cable guide. Man, I was born in the wrong time.
    Attached Files

They have a cable ferry near Morgan city

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nope. ....very few!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

There used to be one South of or near Camden, AL. I have been on 2 or 3 but it was when I was young.

Comment

There is a hand operated ferry that crosses the Rio Grande River from US to Mexico. Three car I believe in a little town of Los Ebanos, TX. Deep STX. Was still in operation last time I was down that way.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Double D; 08-10-2017, 06:12 AM. Reason: added image

Comment

Ever been on a Missouri boat ride?

We rode a cable ferry in Tennessee years ago, great adventure.

Comment

A relic from the past....thanks for sharing.

Comment

Had one in Rice's Landing PA when I was a young man that went across the Monongahela River, went out of service around 1977. only picture I could find.

Comment

Wonder how much $ to cross?

Comment

Used to be a ferry like that crossing the Coosa River near our family farm in Alabama, it's been gone a long time.

Pursell Farms and their Farmlinks golf course wants a bridge where the ferry used to run, but it hasn't happened.
                    It's pretty out there.

Scenic views, top-of-the-line cart technology, are just a few of the reasons Farmlinks is rated a top Alabama Golf course again and again.

Comment

Ferry

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                      Ever been on a Missouri boat ride?

We rode a cable ferry in Tennessee years ago, great adventure.
                      Pull Emuel Pull!!!

Comment

Got confused by the title...........
                        Attached Files

Comment

Kimball Bend on the Brazos was part of the Chisholm Trail. It is believed that the first ferry there was built around 1865. From the pictures available it appears that a larger ferry was constructed several years later. There were swim pens constructed for the cattle to force them to swim across when the river conditions made it possible.

Approximately 3 miles north from where the Lake Whitney dam and Highway 22 crosses, another ferry was used to cross the Brazos. This was the location a long time prior to the dam construction where highway 22 once was located and a bridge was built to replace the ferry.

The first picture shows the Kimball Bend Ferry believed to be around 1865. An Army wagon is being carried across the Brazos.

The second photo is thought to be around 1880 and is also at Kimball Bend. Note how the ferry is larger in size. It remained in service until a bridge was built in 1910.

The third photo is of what is left of the stone cable tower for the Kimball Ferry.

The fourth and last photos are of the Greenwade Crossing Ferry on the Brazos sometime around 1908. Supposed to have been 3 miles north of the Whitney dam. It had been in use since 1884.
                          Attached Files

Comment

This is another photo of the Greenwade Crossing Ferry on the Brazos.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The one across the Rio Grande is still in operation. Hand drawn.

Comment

Working...
                              X