transfering help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transfering help

OK, here is the deal I recently purchased a panasonic VDR-D105 camera and with it came a RAM disk so I just popped it in and started recording. The problem that I have is that I am unable to play the disk in our player and I am unable to transfer it to my PC because neither one of them is RAM compatible. I would like to know if there is a way to get it onto the computer without having to buy editing software. I have called panasonic and have had no luck in getting an answer. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. As it is now the only way I am able to view the video is through the camera itself onto the television but when I try to go through the computer I get nada.
    Thanks
    Kelly
    >E

If your computer or DVD player is not RAM compatible, I see no other way to transfer the video than by firewire and editing software. There are folks here that know way yonder more than I do about this stuff so maybe someone will chime in with help.

Welcome to the site.

Trailboss

Comment

Thanks TB,
      I was around a little before the crash but not very active. Hopefully that will all change though.
      >E

Comment

I couldn't find anything on the 105, but I found this at camcorderinfo.com re the 100.

The VDR-D100 allows 3-inch DVD-RAM (Ver. 2.1), 3-inch DVD-RW (Ver. 1.1/2X-SPEED (2X-1X)), and 3 inch DVD-R (for General Ver. 2.0). The DVD-RW is a new format to Panasonic DVD camcorders this year, a smart addition that allows consumers more choices in their recording media.

While recording video wasn’t an issue, actually retrieving the footage from DVD became something of a production which led to 1) aggravation and b) perhaps a few slipped obscenities. Both this camcorder and the Panasonic VDR-D300 produced footage that was lost, corrupted, missing, inaccessible, or involved circuitous uploading practices of 10 second video clips. If ease of use was applied to the media section, the Panasonic VDR-D100 would be in trouble. And while it’s great to have DVD-RAM as an option, it isn’t all that feasible of a format since most home DVD players and many computers don’t recognize it. These issues can be easily avoided by two methods; one, not edit footage captured on a DVD camcorder, and two, purchase a MiniDV camcorder instead.
        Wow. I've always recommended people shy away from DVD camcorders even though I didn't know much about them. Now I'm understanding why! It doesn't appear that there is a firewire port on it, either.

This wasn't favorable, either...

Editing (3.0)
        The editing potential for DVD camcorders is an interesting question. The MPEG-2 format often leaves users relying upon proprietary DVD editing software, which rarely offers in-depth control compared to suites like Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, or Avid. Unfortunately for consumers, the VDR-D100 doesn’t even come with any half-baked software applications, and users will find themselves struggling to compile the appropriate two or three editing steps needed to transfer footage off of DVD and onto a personal computer for further alteration.

The problem is an inherent limitation in the format; it is necessary to convert all MPEG-2 files to a different format before they can be loaded into an editing program. Oftentimes users must purchase or download a conversion software program and an editing program too. And getting quality software will cost you. If you anticipate doing any sort of editing, you should look at MiniDV machines or step up in price to the Panasonic VDR-D200.
        Again, this was for the 100 and not the 105, but I'm guessing there's not much of a difference between the two.

Michael
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Boss is right. I got my wife a DVD one just for the simplicity of recording and popping in the DVD. She likes it.....I dont.

Comment

Working...
          X