Stiff arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiff arrows

I see this all the time. My arrow is to stiff. Really. Can an arrow be to stiff. Maybe if extream. But what do we call extstream.

So I thought. I would run a test.

Shooting a 26.5 mr5. At 66 lbs.

Arrow is a 27 in carbon to carbon 250 spine.

All shot at 20 yards

Let me add there is really not a weak stiff arrow. It's under spine or over spine.

Spine of an arrow doesn't matter as long as you have enough spine for the tip you are shooting. And total weight is above manufacture setting.

So let's look at the test
    Attached Files

Second pic. Sorry for side ways pic. Doing this from I pad. Left side is top
    Attached Files

Comment

Ok now let me give some info. Pic with single arrow is a 100 gn muzzy 3 blade. Ontarge programs says this arrow is .101 to stiff. Ideal spine is .3512. I'm 100 thousandths to stiff. That's two arrows to stiff. The second pic. Top arrow is 125 gn stinger. It's .077 to stiff. That's 77 thousandths to stiff. I deal is .3272 spine. Bottom arrow is a 205 gn Simmons head. That arrow is .016 stiff. Idea is ideal

So. Can an arrow be to stiff. No.

Comment

Hey don't cut all those 250 spine arrows. I need to steal at least 2 lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
          Hey don't cut all those 250 spine arrows. I need to steal at least 2 lol
          You better hurry.

All three flew like darts. Shoulder is hurting. Going to test at further distance

But for the average hunter at 25 yards or less. No problems.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
            You better hurry.

All three flew like darts. Shoulder is hurting. Going to test at further distance

But for the average hunter at 25 yards or less. No problems.
            Yeah but we are not the average shooter haha

Comment

So what r u going to shoot any head you want lol ?

Comment

Looks like it. Haha. At 20 yards looks like I can shoot from 100 to 200 head. No problems.

Comment

Ok now let me give some info. Pic with single arrow is a 100 gn muzzy 3 blade. Ontarge programs says this arrow is .101 to stiff. Ideal spine is .3512. I'm 100 thousandths to stiff. That's two arrows to stiff. The second pic. Top arrow is 125 gn stinger. It's .077 to stiff. That's 77 thousandths to stiff. I deal is .3272 spine. Bottom arrow is a 205 gn Simmons head. That arrow is .016 stiff. Idea is ideal

So. Can an arrow be to stiff. No.
                  I used to be of the same mind-set, until I ran into modular single cam bows.
                  With most Binary/ dual cam systems, you are right, but with single cam systems, Yes, arrows can be too stiff.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                    I used to be of the same mind-set, until I ran into modular single cam bows.
                    With most Binary/ dual cam systems, you are right, but with single cam systems, Yes, arrows can be too stiff.
                    Hey rocky. Haven't seen a post in a while. Hope you and wife are doing great

I have a Mathews extream. I'll have to test that this weekend.

Comment

Hey rocky. Haven't seen a post in a while. Hope you and wife are doing great

I have a Mathews extream. I'll have to test that this weekend.
                      Doing great!
                      Usually, with a stiff arrow, you will get a low tear through paper.
                      Mathews bows may, or may not show a stiff arrow, but other single cam bows, (mostly modular cams), will definitely show stiff.
                      Some rests will 'hide' the stiff arrow,(low tear), so there are several factors that need to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                        Doing great!
                        Usually, with a stiff arrow, you will get a low tear through paper.
                        Mathews bows may, or may not show a stiff arrow, but other single cam bows, (mostly modular cams), will definitely show stiff.
                        Some rests will 'hide' the stiff arrow,(low tear), so there are several factors that need to be considered.
                        Sounds good rocky thanks.

My hunting arrow will be the one with the 206 tip

Comment

Here is 40 yards. Not a great test. I can't see the dots. It's to dark inside shop compared to standing out side. I used a hinge on the over head for left and right and guessed at the up and down. But at 40 they fly like darts. 3 vane 100 tip 2 vane 125 tip
                          Attached Files

Comment

50 yards. Not real good but I can't see the target real well. Arrows are 4 inches apart
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looking better man

Comment

Working...
                              X