Camper a/c smells.... Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper a/c smells.... Help!

We are living in a camper right now, and the AC runs great and cools pretty quickly, but there is a really big problem... It smells like sewage. What could be causing this? We have 2 units that are mounted on top of our trailer, and they both emit this odor when running. Any ideas?

May possibly be something got caught in the fan and died??

Comment

Get on top and pull tje cover off. Could be a dead bird or rat in them.

Comment

In residential systems they can get what's called dirty sock syndrome. The only way I've ever known to fix it is getting a special coil cleaner meant to kill the bacteria growing on it. You can get it at any ac supply store or maybe even online.

Comment

have you dumped your black tank?

Comment

Ducted system I assume? Something my be in the ducts?

Although I know Rod is joking, I learned when sewer is hooked up to leave the dump valve closed. RV toilets aren't the best at holding water in the bowl and without a ptrap to stop gas, well ........

Comment

Originally posted by Extremebowman View Post
              Ducted system I assume? Something my be in the ducts?

Although I know Rod is joking, I learned when sewer is hooked up to leave the dump valve closed. RV toilets aren't the best at holding water in the bowl and without a ptrap to stop gas, well ........
              your ac units could also be drawing sewer gas out of the tank via the roof vents.

Go up there and cover the sewer vents to eliminate this possibility......

Comment

Well, our camper doesn't have holding tanks. I know that sounds strange, but it doesn't. We also have a real toilet. It's strange because it doesn't happen all the time.... We have one unit at the front and one unit at the back, the one in the front only smells sometimes, the one in the back smells all the time. Ill get Jared to look into getting some of that cleaner. Thanks!

Comment

The ac does not draw air from the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by ty729 View Post
                    The ac does not draw air from the outside.
                    it shouldn't.....

but a bunch of them do

don't get me started on crappy rv construction......

Comment

Originally posted by BiggsWife View Post
                      Well, our camper doesn't have holding tanks. I know that sounds strange, but it doesn't. We also have a real toilet. It's strange because it doesn't happen all the time.... We have one unit at the front and one unit at the back, the one in the front only smells sometimes, the one in the back smells all the time. Ill get Jared to look into getting some of that cleaner. Thanks!
                      so your trailer is always hooked up to the sewer?

and it still has a vent for the toilet on the roof of the rv?

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                        so your trailer is always hooked up to the sewer?

and it still has a vent for the toilet on the roof of the rv?
                        It is always hooked up to the sewer..... Not sure about having a vent. There isn't a ladder on the back end of ours, so it's not as easy to climb on top of to check out.

Comment

Make a P trap with your waste hose, I had the issue and made my hose have two raised sections. It has helped about 90%.

Comment

A few trailer that do not have holding tanks, do have plumbing vents on the roof (just like a house). I know that A/C do not take air from outside, but have seen where a blocked plumbing vent gets circulated back through the A/C system!!

Comment

^^^^ see ..... I knew I wasn't totally crazy.

and it happened on my last trailer.

just about the time I started thinking my poop didn't stink.........

Comment

Working...
                              X