Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do while filming in low light..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do while filming in low light..

To be honest I think I have pushed my Sony Fx-1 to the brink of its capabilities!!! I have a critter that I HAVE To get on film during the harvest and well the available light is almost gone.... So last night I switched from the Auto settings to the manual side and went to work... After taking my gain to 9 db., manually working the iris to allow all the light in , and lastly I slowed my frame rate down to a whopping 4 frames a second!! I have to admit I was surprise to turn almost dark to daylight, but with the frame rate running so slow, it looked like everything was in slow motion, to fast of a move from the animal would blur the movement.... So I doubled the frame rate to 8 frames a second, and lost a huge amount out light intake....

So tell me your secrets of filming in the waining moments of daylight..

Frame rate is probably the best way, but unfortunately, you lose the ability to get clear images as movement will blur.

If you're like me, you wait for daylight...or until a hog scares the 140" buck you have at 16 yards back into the brush.

Comment

Sony with Night-Shot

Comment

Good luck. You have done all you can do. My rule is to never go below 30 frames unless it is B&C ! You should be able to adjust the iris on your camera, but auto probably has it opened up at this point. And who was it that said "gain means grain". Of course it gains some light, but can you see it in the grainy pic. I think you have to live with what you have or wait for more light.

Comment

You've done all you can without using artificial light. At the slower frame rate, manual,opening the iris, adding gain you'll still get motion artifact & noise.
          Play with your A & E setting going into the negative values and you 'might' pick up another ray of sunshine.

Comment

It seems that the next attemp on this animals life may involve three bright IR lights, a GL2 camera armed with night shot, and a AR-15 with a 3rd gen night vision monocular!!

Comment

And the plan comes together..... What is it? A possum?

Comment

A really big hog..

Comment

If you can go next week let me know. I'll help if possible. I leave tomorrow for S Texas and next sat for Canada.

Comment

It will have to be put off till deer season starts, you know as well as I know that bucks on film trump hogs on film everytime!!LOL!!

Comment

Working...
                    X