Reloading the .300 Weatherby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading the .300 Weatherby

So... I went all in, studied a few of the key books and started reloading my .300 BO and some .308 with pretty good success. Found a good deal on a .300 Weatherby die set but some of the 'notes' I have found are concerning. I am going to do more studying but anything I really need to pay attention to for this caliber? Just looking for some pointers if anyone has some..

Low case density can lead to secondary detonations. VERY dangerous.

You want case densities above 80% IMHO.

I shoot the .300 RUM and like 210 Bergers. With all the .300 mags I prefer 180+ gr bullets.

Comment

The big 30's were originally designed to shoot heavier pills at the same speeds as the 30-06 class does the 150's. Better wind bucking, less drop, more energy at equivalent distances. The downside is more recoil and more expensive to feed. A buddy of mine had a 300 Wby. that I loaded for years ago. Nothing special required, you just don't have to push it hard to make it perform. The Weatherby factory rifles have a lot of freebore to keep initial pressures down, some custom guns don't have that so you have to pay attention as you work up loads. His rifle pretty much wanted to run at full throttle, it didn't shoot for beans if you backed off much.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer56 View Post
        The big 30's were originally designed to shoot heavier pills at the same speeds as the 30-06 class does the 150's. Better wind bucking, less drop, more energy at equivalent distances. The downside is more recoil and more expensive to feed. A buddy of mine had a 300 Wby. that I loaded for years ago. Nothing special required, you just don't have to push it hard to make it perform. The Weatherby factory rifles have a lot of freebore to keep initial pressures down, some custom guns don't have that so you have to pay attention as you work up loads. His rifle pretty much wanted to run at full throttle, it didn't shoot for beans if you backed off much.
        Spot on advice right there.
        I might add that the slower burning powders are going to be your friend with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
          Spot on advice right there.
          I might add that the slower burning powders are going to be your friend with this one.
          And that will help with case density as well. Retumbo is my go to powder.

Comment

Working...
          X