Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
    Now you know you're using it in the wrong context. As eddie said last year, he loses 95 lbs every time he takes a dmack.

Oops. My mistake. I forgot. Lol

Comment

I'd be tempted to make a trip with you and try it with the longbow. Probably need to get some bunny buster tips. Some flu flus wouldn't hurt either to slow it down or I may lose all my arrows.
      What weight BH do you use?

I made up some simple small game heads that are very effective on rabbits (and should be on squirrel.) They weigh in at 175g, but you could adjust.

For the Flu-Flus - I like to use them if I am shooting up into the air. I use the spiral wrap method. I don't think I have any pics of those on my phone, but will try and post a picture. The max they travel is 40 yards and pack a punch inside 10 yards.

It make sense to carry regular and flu-flu depending if you see them on the ground or up on a limb.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          What weight BH do you use?

I made up some simple small game heads that are very effective on rabbits (and should be on squirrel.) They weigh in at 175g, but you could adjust.

For the Flu-Flus - I like to use them if I am shooting up into the air. I use the spiral wrap method. I don't think I have any pics of those on my phone, but will try and post a picture. The max they travel is 40 yards and pack a punch inside 10 yards.

It make sense to carry regular and flu-flu depending if you see them on the ground or up on a limb.
          For the longbow, 145 gr. The recurve shoots 175, but no way I could hunt small with that thing, it's just way too fast and heavy hitting.

You going to Vanderpool this weekend?

Comment

For the longbow, 145 gr. The recurve shoots 175, but no way I could hunt small with that thing, it's just way too fast and heavy hitting.

You going to Vanderpool this weekend?
            How heavy we talking? My recurve and longbow are 50 lbs. All the rabbits I hit with those heads out of those bows were fine. Well... dead... but that is fine by me

I will not be at Vanderpool... I opted to go on my first ever Turkey hunt instead

Comment

The more I think about it... even if you were pulling 80lbs, small game are fine with it. You want all the oomf you can get. A guy on here has plenty of pictures of rabbits that I know he took out with small game heads and an 80lb bow. A heavier hit to the head is better than a light one.

Now... what you might be concerned about with a heavier bow is getting it stuck in a tree trunk... or shooting too far. The flu-flu will handle the "too far" and if you use those heads I showed... they are so cheap that you won't care about unscrewing them and leaving them in the trunk. They cost about $.50 to make.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                How heavy we talking? My recurve and longbow are 50 lbs. All the rabbits I hit with those heads out of those bows were fine. Well... dead... but that is fine by me

I will not be at Vanderpool... I opted to go on my first ever Turkey hunt instead
                Well my recurve is 50 lbs. Roland built it with 2 strips of carbon that make this thing sing. Tod and I keep talking about chronographing it. We just say it's fast. Point being, shooting it horizontal or anything but towards the ground is sure to mean a lost arrow, especially if it ricochets. I'd be interested to see what a flu flu might do to slow it down, but probably still not enough to justify taking it over the longbow. I have a draw hunt close to home I'm thinking about putting in for, which I would probably opt to use the recurve, otherwise I need to take it a couple times this year, just to say I did

Comment

Well my recurve is 50 lbs. Roland built it with 2 strips of carbon that make this thing sing. Tod and I keep talking about chronographing it. We just say it's fast. Point being, shooting it horizontal or anything but towards the ground is sure to mean a lost arrow, especially if it ricochets. I'd be interested to see what a flu flu might do to slow it down, but probably still not enough to justify taking it over the longbow. I have a draw hunt close to home I'm thinking about putting in for, which I would probably opt to use the recurve, otherwise I need to take it a couple times this year, just to say I did
                  The spiral wrap flu flus will make you laugh when you realize you can't hit your 3D target in the side set at 30 yards yet you are point on at 10!

For shooting small game on the ground out to 15 yards... the head makes a difference. Last year I was chasing arrows pretty far with a dull zwickey. This year, the arrow was within 3-4 yards of the missed target 90% of the time.

I'd go with which ever you shoot best first.

Comment

Like you avatar says... "just shoot it!"

Comment

So the BS thread didn't work?

Comment

So I am new to SHNF. Can anyone tell me where, when and how to hunt? Know any good locations?
                        Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                          Here it is! It's time to get scouting and seeing where you're going to hunt this season.

Please do not post up locations.
                          Know that everything you post here is open to public scrutiny. Ie, you may get called out for no tag, no orange, and you may get a visit from the GW. ( it has happened)

No name calling, keep it serious. If you just want to talk smack, then go to the other thread.
                          Please don't post up pics of deer not taken from the SHNF.
                          If you're new and you have a question, please read the SHNF threads or get online and read the rules, almost every question has been answered. Also, we all work for a living, so it may take us a day or two to see your post. Have patience.

Most of all, show some respect.

GO!

Sorry Damian

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                            So the BS thread didn't work?

You were serious?? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by dmack View Post
                              You were serious?? Lol
                              It's there. I'll try and post a link.

Comment