Deer stand plywood not lasting a year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer stand plywood not lasting a year?

I am at a loss here. I have been using 1/4 plywood (not OSB, not Luan) on my deer stands and they have not bee lasting a year. The plywood is cut to fit the tube steel frame, primed and painted well to make sure the plywood is sealed with semi-gloss exterior paint (special notice to make sure ends are sealed as well). It is screwed to the stand with a dollop of silicon on each screw and they each seam is sealed with more silicon.

Within about 8-12 months each time, the plywood start sprouting a fungus and it rots out shortly afterwards. This has happened with two stands not over a period of a couple of years. The ends are still in good condition, the mold substance sprouts all over the sheet of plywood and grows they the paint finish.

I am hunting in SE Texas, so the environment is VERY humid most of the time.

Anyone having this same issue or have any suggestions?

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
    I am at a loss here. I have been using 1/4 plywood (not OSB, not Luan) on my deer stands and they have not bee lasting a year. The plywood is cut to fit the tube steel frame, primed and painted well to make sure the plywood is sealed with semi-gloss exterior paint (special notice to make sure ends are sealed as well). It is screwed to the stand with a dollop of silicon on each screw and they each seam is sealed with more silicon.

Within about 8-12 months each time, the plywood start sprouting a fungus and it rots out shortly afterwards. This has happened with two stands not over a period of a couple of years. The ends are still in good condition, the mold substance sprouts all over the sheet of plywood and grows they the paint finish.

I am hunting in SE Texas, so the environment is VERY humid most of the time.

Anyone having this same issue or have any suggestions?

Paint?

Comment

Originally posted by Phdan View Post
      Paint?
      You asking brand? If so, Behr from HD.

It is almost like the plywood has this fungus in it or is bad. Not sure though seeing it is happening on multiple stands over a multi year period, so I think I can rule out a bad batch of plywood. (As we had thought the first time it happened).

Comment

Are you actually putting a finish on it or just a paint?painting and leaving outdoors? Wonder if the product you're using is trapping moisture inside, or just isn't sealed well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
          Are you actually putting a finish on it or just a paint?painting and leaving outdoors? Wonder if the product you're using is trapping moisture inside, or just isn't sealed well enough.
          Priming then painting with 2 coats of paint and allowing to dry outside. We pay close attention to making sure the plywood is sealed. The fungus seems to just bloom from out of the plywood.

Comment

I'd consider using some oi lfinish to displace moisture, then paint, then maybe just one coat of polyurethane or something to make sure it's really sealed (you can spray paint it later). Fungus needs moisture to grow so it's breathing in enough somehow.

Comment

Treated plywood?

Comment

Been using 30lb felt paper over 1/2" CDX/sheathing to protect it from the rain, sun etc. on deer blinds for long time. This past season I moved a blind that I built 25 years ago and the plywood has yet to see the elements. Still going strong, I don't think there is a paint made that will protect the wood like felt paper does.

Comment

easy fix. use treated, or smart board.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Not treated. It has been impossible to find 1/4” treated and any thicker than 1/4” and the stands are too heavy to easily pull up and down.

I might tray some type of deck sealer first next time, just wonder if it will hold paint well after it dries.

Comment

Smart board or that hardy plywood, quick using plywood on blinds.

Comment

What grade is the 1/4” plywood?

Not all plywoods use exterior glue. This could be causing the veneers to delaminate/split and hold moisture.

Comment

I used 1/2” treated.

Comment

You aren't going to get longevity from 1/4". Even if its painted you can just about poke your finger through it after a year. Put some 1/2" material on that stand,trim the edges with a 1x4,caulk edges and paint.

Comment

You need to use treated or it won’t last no matter what you do.

Comment

Working...
                              X