Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green Screen Led Me On a Roadtrip! But Where!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green Screen Led Me On a Roadtrip! But Where!!?

This is my third and final thread about a family dog!!! I spent my weekend researching and talking to breeders about both Boykin Spaniels and Brittany Dogs. I have tracked down a pup of each breed that we are happy with and plan to go get one of the two by the weekend. From what I see online and based on looks we are on the fence and would be happy to bring either home. If we were at a point where we could get both we would, but unfortunately we cannot.

As I have said before this will first and foremost be a family dog that we have now decided will live inside at night at least. It will be for our young son. It will have 100 acres of woods, pasture, and pond to roam. Our home, carport, and shop porches will provide ample laying around shade. I would like to try some training on my own, just using books and videos. I am asking for green screen advise on which of these two breeds typically would be better suited for family life and small children, and which breed seems to be easier to train and most obedient? We have never owned either and this is a big commitment, thanks for any input!

100 acres? I'll give you two dogs if you let me hunt it.

Good luck with the new pup.

Comment

I've been on my Boykin wait list for over a year, 2 years from first contact actually. I'm curious who your breeder is that has a pup available under short notice? My vote is obviously a Boykin!

Comment

I have had three Brittney's , all three of them where great. I was about 10 years old when I got my first two. All of mine were smart dogs and extremely well mannered.

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
          I've been on my Boykin wait list for over a year, 2 years from first contact actually. I'm curious who your breeder is that has a pup available under short notice? My vote is obviously a Boykin!
          This pup is actually already 12 weeks old. The breeder was planning to keep him for his own stock, but just took a new job and said he will not have time for the pup.

Comment

No experience with Boykins but had many Brittanys. All were great dogs but some were more high strung than others. I preferred the more laid back dogs. Hard to tell the temperament of a pup but if the parents are laid back the pups will have a better chance of being laid back.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
              No experience with Boykins but had many Brittanys. All were great dogs but some were more high strung than others. I preferred the more laid back dogs. Hard to tell the temperament of a pup but if the parents are laid back the pups will have a better chance of being laid back.
              Prefer one a little laid back myself.

Comment

I got tied up watching the PGA and forgot to answer your question.
                The Brittany we had was a runt of the litter and a hunting dog. Firecracker was a great quail dog, was not as wide ranging as some I have seen and would back a point. But I have seen some that when their feet hit the ground they were gone.

My experience with Boykins is from fostering one for a while for my vet and seeing others' dogs work.

I have been on hunts with Boykins and have always been impressed. Most I have seen were at the smaller end of the scale which is a plus in my mind.

I like the Boykins but if I could find another Firecracker I wouldn't hesitate to take her. I would suggest go look at both but you might come home with 2 puppies

Comment

I see you live in the Lufkin area, from what little I know about the spaniels I would make it an inside dog. I would think it may not fair too well with the coyotes by itself.

Comment

Wish I could help, had a friend that had a Boykin Spaniel, if not the best, in the top three as a hunting dog. However, as a pet she was not aggressive but did things her own way, totally undisciplined. Again when it came to hunting very obedient and reliable. Great hunting dog.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                      I see you live in the Lufkin area, from what little I know about the spaniels I would make it an inside dog. I would think it may not fair too well with the coyotes by itself.
                      It would prolly get its outside time during the day.

Comment

Energy levels are going to be extremely similar(off the charts ). Trainability and level of obedience is going to be dependent on the individual dog(and the line of dog), regardless of the breed.

This is a great book on Spaniels and I strongly recommend it.

I grew up in Boykin country and love the little dogs. They are great hunters and family members, but they DEFINITELY need to be a family member. Make sure you socialize the hell out of the pup for the first year or so. One of the best things you can do for a pup.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                          Energy levels are going to be extremely similar(off the charts ). Trainability and level of obedience is going to be dependent on the individual dog(and the line of dog), regardless of the breed.

This is a great book on Spaniels and I strongly recommend it.

I grew up in Boykin country and love the little dogs. They are great hunters and family members, but they DEFINITELY need to be a family member. Make sure you socialize the hell out of the pup for the first year or so. One of the best things you can do for a pup.
                          Thanks for the book recommendation!

Comment

Any more votes?

Comment

Boykin

Comment

Working...
                              X