Javelina hunt on the Longoria WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Javelina hunt on the Longoria WMA

We were drawn for the Archery/muzzleloader Javelina hunt this past weekend at the Longoria WMA just outside of Harlingen. We arrived Friday at the Tropic winds RV park and prepared for our hunt which stared Saturday at noon.

We arrived at the area and met with Frank and Alex two of the TPWD personnel who were in charge of the hunt. I have never met two nicer guys at any other draw hunt we have been on or have ever had so much hospitality shown towards us. We were the only two hunters hunting that day and pretty much had the place to ourselves.

The property was approximately 475 acres of thick brush which had 4 tripods and feeders set up and running. We set up our pop up for the evening hunt with the plan of one hunting and the other filming. My buddy Mike opted for his muzzle loading pistol for that hunt and me with my bow.

Saturday afternoon was warm so we didn’t get into the blind till about 4pm and then here they came! Mike shot and missed at about 30yrds...

They came back out 5 minutes later.25 yrds shot….missed!

(now I am in the blind laughing so hard I didn’t think anything would come back out but 4 minutes later here they are! Mike shoots…Mike misses for the third time! By now my sides are hurting from laughing so hard I could not hold the camera steady to get the 3rd shot on film. We decided that’s enough for this afternoon hunt. We head back to the RV park for a good steak and beverages. They had a band playing at the park their name “Senior Moments”!!! We decided to pass on that…

The next morning we decided to be tourists and check out the Iwo Jima memorial.

That afternoon it was my turn to give it shot. About 3:00 I got my chance at 20yrds. Broadside shot. He only went about 25 yrds and crashed.

Well ole Mike got one more shot, armed with his bow this time he shot and yep you guessed it! MISS! He wont live this one down for a long time!

I think even the Javelina is laughing at him!

Just got to say that the Longoria WMA and its personnel are a class act and if you get to hunt there you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by Talon; 04-28-2010, 07:23 AM.

lol... cool. sounds fun tho!

Comment

sounds like a good time. nice pig

Comment

Great pics. I'm glad your friend wasn't taking the pics. He might have missed those too.

Comment

Bow vs gun! Bow wins!! Gotta love that! Congrats!

Comment

nice job on the leener.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice, sounds like your buddy needs to do a little target practice before his next trip to the woods. Congrats

Comment

Cool. Congrats. Looks like there were plenty of javis.

Comment

Good stuff. Congrats on the javi and better luck to your friend next time. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thats sweet. Looked like fun. Can't believe there were three misses

Comment

nice work...look like lots of fun!

Comment

Working...
                        X