No announcement yet.

Sling TV vs Cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the replies guys. I need to do something pretty quick, we will be back in the house next weekend. Skipping commercials is a must. Keep the advice coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      Sling has plenty of sports channels available.

I have ESPN 1,2,3
      I have 6 Fox Sports network channels
      I have FS1 & 2

Plus some I’m sure I’m missing. The problem is local blackouts that you will get from time to time.

It’s only a matter of time before the cable/sat companies will have to adjust because lots of folks are going to streaming TV.

That or the broadcasters will have to release blackouts for local games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      I saw a post yesterday about a web service that you can pay ($5/mo) that will allow you to watch events that are "blacked out" in your area... I'll search for now. I've recently set up with Sling and am missing Spurs games while living in Houston.

EDIT: It's called unlocator. Looks like you configure your device to allow you to watch the games.

World class VPN and Smart DNS that allows you to remain private and access your favorite websites. 30-day money back guarantee on all plans.
      Last edited by BlackHogDown; 04-12-2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I'm in Cypress and switched to Sling about a year ago.. There's no going back, it's awesome! My favorite thing is the channel grid layout, looks just like cable. I hate the weird blocky "netflix" style layout most streaming companies have... I tried Hulu and couldn't get past the awful interface.. As far as reliability, it does have rare "hiccups" but they are less common than my cable had, seriously.

Xfinity is the fastest internet around. Way faster than AT&T and a little bit cheaper. You'll have to get your own modem but they're only like $45-$50 nowadays. Get the 60mbps or whatever it is, any faster and your wasting money. It truly won't go faster.

For Sling there's 2 main packages, one has kids channels and no sports and the other is the opposite (their smart! lol). I got both. I added the DVR and their special $10 for 4 package add-on. Out the door I pay about $58 after taxes/fees..

The big kicker is Sling doesn't have NBC in the Houston area, which is huge because alot of sports and good shows and specials come on it. Xfinity has a deal though where you can get the basic 10 Channels (or however many channels) for an extra $10 per month. For NBC it's worth every penny.

So I think total I pay about $125 per month, but I have fast internet and every channel there is basically. I was paying $170-$180 for cable with about the same channels and slower internet.

Roku boxes are the best! I'd get it over a Firestick any day of the week! They even have one with a headphone jack on the remote so if the kids or momma is watching TV they can just plug in and not annoy you.

On another note, if you want to save cash and not buy a Roku box you can get a TCL TV (there's alot of different models). They are very high quality and have Roku built in.
        Last edited by Deers & Beers; 04-12-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Roku,Netflix,Amazonvideo
          All ya need

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
            Roku,Netflix,Amazonvideo
            All ya need

Will add Hulu and some form of a antenna to this list. We have been on it for a few months, and wouldn’t go back. We rarely use the antenna, but it’s nice for some things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
              I am the opposite of justintyme all I watch is sports, mainly football, NASCAR, and college BB during March madness. Nearly all of the apps, sling tv, netflix etc. are mostly movies which I care nothing about watching. Wish they had a good sports app to get all of my sports channels and the few other shows I watch.
              I have tons of sports channels like ESPN, EPSN II, SEC and many others just no hunting or fishing.

Comment

So what are your lists of must have channels or shows?

You can get away from alot of commercials but not all depending on your list of channels or shows you want to watch.

like on HULU i pay the extra couple of bucks to have none. Netflix and Amazon have none. If I watch on demand like on history channel app I watch mountain men then i deal with them but its not a big deal to me.

We also have HD antenna in the attic for local channels works great.

With DirectTV Now subscription and others you can watch all the same channels on the apps you just login with your account.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                  Roku boxes are the best! I'd get it over a Firestick any day of the week! They even have one with a headphone jack on the remote so if the kids or momma is watching TV they can just plug in and not annoy you.

On another note, if you want to save cash and not buy a Roku box you can get a TCL TV (there's alot of different models). They are very high quality and have Roku built in.
                  X2 on the ROKU with the headphone jack it also has ethernet port which i like over wireless but it has both I run mine wired.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    It’s only a matter of time before the cable/sat companies will have to adjust because lots of folks are going to streaming TV.
                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    They already are thats why the offer things ike DirectTV Now. Its still Direct TV they just added the "Now" in the name because you stream it online vs having a dish.

The other thing is the court battle on net neutrality.

Comment

Update SetTv I set up a 3 day free trial for SetTv on my Fire Stick. Wasn't too hard to do, did have to ask a question or two using the chat feature on their web site. Once set up it is great. I have way more channels 500+ than I need and just scanning through looks like all of my favorites are there, plus NFL Sunday ticket. The down side is with Dtv I could set up a favorite list and only have certain channels in it. Don't think I can do that with SetTv but for $20.00 a month I can live with that. Once the free trial is over I will be signing up. If you order 3,6, or 12 month package you save a little bit. Fire Stick is $29.99 on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                        Roku,Netflix,Amazonvideo
                        All ya need
                        I nixed Netflix when they appointed Susan Rice to the board. I'm not one for boycotting but that lady is a crook. Sling and a buddies Hulu/HBO account is all I need Lol

Comment

If skipping commercials is a must then cheap streaming isn't for you. Some apps allow it, most don't. I dumped cable 3 years ago and will never go back. I still have to pay $60 a month for quality stand alone internet, $8 Netflix, and $25 for SlingTV, but I'm no longer being pimped by AT&T. Only thing I miss is Fox News and Discovery Channel. They got that sewed up tight. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                            I am the opposite of justintyme all I watch is sports, mainly football, NASCAR, and college BB during March madness. Nearly all of the apps, sling tv, netflix etc. are mostly movies which I care nothing about watching. Wish they had a good sports app to get all of my sports channels and the few other shows I watch.
                            I've got Sling TV and I've got all the ESPN channels as well as Fox Sports channels.

And I have Sportsman's Channel, Outdoor Network, and the Fishing Network channel.

Comment

Thinking about making the switch from cable to Sling. Can you stream with a SmartTV or still have to get a streaming device like Roku?

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                                Thinking about making the switch from cable to Sling. Can you stream with a SmartTV or still have to get a streaming device like Roku?
                                You can but limited to the apps loaded on your tv thats were a device like Ruko comes into play.

Comment

Working...
                                X