wild mushroom and cheese fritters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wild mushroom and cheese fritters

Me and my girls went mushroom hunting and we found more than we could want. Most of what you see in the pic is ringless honey mushroom but we also found some milk caps (the blue ones) and boletes. The recipe i used is in the link below. The only thing i did different was use 1 egg instead of 4 and use fresh mushrooms instead of making the duxelles. I followed the recipe using 4 eggs and the batter was runny and tasted eggy. Once the batter is made you can put whatever you want in it. We did bacon and cheese in one batch and they were just as good! The only thing you will need is a deep fryer and your ready to go. Enjoy!

A recipe for fritters made with Leccinum or Scaber Stalk mushrooms. Many different mushrooms can be used as long as they're dried.
    Attached Files

Those look great! I always wanted to try to harvest wild mushrooms, but I’m afraid I’d grab the wrong ones.

Comment

Originally posted by NickR View Post
      Those look great! I always wanted to try to harvest wild mushrooms, but I’m afraid I’d grab the wrong ones.
      Its not too hard to identify the edible wild mushrooms we have here in Texas. There are only a few that are worth eating... If you ever see something and want help identifying it, shoot me a PM.

Comment

Fritter Batter.

Hi there, glad you could get some inspiration from the recipe. When making eclair dough (pate aux choux) if the batter is runny it could mean a couple things. The first that comes to mind is to make sure to only add the eggs one at a time, since the residual heat of the flour batter semi-cooks the eggs. The batter will be a little jiggly and soft, that's ok, it should be able to be easily piped out of a pastry bag. You can also chill the batter to solidify the butter in it if you have problems too, but I would make sure to lower the frying temperature and increase the cooking time slightly to compensate. -Alan.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Bergo View Post
          Hi there, glad you could get some inspiration from the recipe. When making eclair dough (pate aux choux) if the batter is runny it could mean a couple things. The first that comes to mind is to make sure to only add the eggs one at a time, since the residual heat of the flour batter semi-cooks the eggs. The batter will be a little jiggly and soft, that's ok, it should be able to be easily piped out of a pastry bag. You can also chill the batter to solidify the butter in it if you have problems too, but I would make sure to lower the frying temperature and increase the cooking time slightly to compensate. -Alan.
          Chef Alan, I just recently found your blog about a month ago and i appreciate all the recipes and foraging blogs! I'm glad to see that you have joined Texasbowhunter! These are some of the finest people around! I would imagine you will get some more followers from TBH members as most of us like to eat great food! Thanks for letting me know about the batter. This was my first attempt at making eclair dough... next time i will follow the recipe with those tips. Thanks, Jason
          Last edited by Jason85; 11-13-2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I have also wanted to harvest wild mushrooms but I am also scared of getting the wrong ones. Do you mind if you share where?

Comment

Working...
            X