Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Food Plot....Getting it ready to plant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ATTACH]903444[/ATTACH]

Small plot of Sunn Hemp
    Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]903446[/ATTACH]

2 acres planted in IC peas and Sunn Hemp. This field has a Nutgrass issue and hogs will get it about July unless I can kill the hogs or the nutgrass or both.
      Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Wow those look great. I’m hoping to get some stuff done this weekend but I don’t have access to tools like you’ve got there. Hoping I can throw some seed out, run over it with a groundhawg disc and then mow it.

These are the fields I’m working with.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
          Wow those look great. I’m hoping to get some stuff done this weekend but I don’t have access to tools like you’ve got there. Hoping I can throw some seed out, run over it with a groundhawg disc and then mow it.

These are the fields I’m working with.
          I am a rookie to food plots, maybe 6 years of it. I still ask a lot of questions and read QDMA alot. My biggest enemy is rooting hogs, we kill the heck out of them but seems like a lost cause in the mid summer.

El Gato and DryCreek are purty smart fellers with plots, I learn alot from them.

Comment

I'm going to be like muddyz and will have minimal tools for my plots. My wife and I are closing on 70 acres in Oklahoma in about a month. Probably be a little late and a little short on funds for the spring/summer plots, but will be getting prepared for fall plots. Going to go for the throw and mow method. We will see how it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
              I'm going to be like muddyz and will have minimal tools for my plots. My wife and I are closing on 70 acres in Oklahoma in about a month. Probably be a little late and a little short on funds for the spring/summer plots, but will be getting prepared for fall plots. Going to go for the throw and mow method. We will see how it goes!
              That’s how I started , but it was on a lease in burnet long time ago

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                That’s how I started , but it was on a lease in burnet long time ago
                I'm just excited to have my own slice of dirt. I think the throw and mow method will work out great for me until I'm able to get more implements.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                  I'm just excited to have my own slice of dirt. I think the throw and mow method will work out great for me until I'm able to get more implements.
                  I bet you are excited!!

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                    Anyone tried PowerPlant from WI or a custom mix of like seeds (climbing soys and peas, sunflower, sunn hemp, etc) and had success? Tempted to try it and add more I/C peas to finish out the 1.5acre plot.
                    I tried it in central La. and will again this year. Impressive to say the least. Still don't have my soil right and the deer hammered it anyway

Comment

Originally posted by the marshall View Post
                      I tried it in central La. and will again this year. Impressive to say the least. Still don't have my soil right and the deer hammered it anyway
                      Where are you in central La. ? We might be neighbors

Comment

central La

PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                          Anyone tried PowerPlant from WI or a custom mix of like seeds (climbing soys and peas, sunflower, sunn hemp, etc) and had success? Tempted to try it and add more I/C peas to finish out the 1.5acre plot.
                          I woud not plant anything with corn or sorghum in it. Dadgum coon and hogs will tear it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            I am a rookie to food plots, maybe 6 years of it. I still ask a lot of questions and read QDMA alot. My biggest enemy is rooting hogs, we kill the heck out of them but seems like a lost cause in the mid summer.

El Gato and DryCreek are purty smart fellers with plots, I learn alot from them.
                            You disk every year? I been following their threads and the past year I been grain drilling mine and leaving the ground undisturbed.

Question I have: If I spray gly it will kill my entire winter plot correct? Or just weeds? I have peas, oats, wheat planted.

I shredded it down 4 weeks ago

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              You disk every year? I been following their threads and the past year I been grain drilling mine and leaving the ground undisturbed.

Question I have: If I spray gly it will kill my entire winter plot correct? Or just weeds? I have peas, oats, wheat planted.

I shredded it down 4 weeks ago
                              I disc every year, I dont own a no-till drill yet and this year I set the disc deeper (10") to uproot all the turnips. By the way a lot y'all dont like turnips but I understand why Elgato says they are good for the soil. The amount of organic matter they leave is unbelievable.

Yes, Gly will kill grass and broadleaf both, so your winter plot will be gone.

Comment

Nice plots Radar! I love reading QDMA too

Just got my soil sample back. Soil looks good like I thought. Needs some Phosphorous love and a lil Nitrogen and I'll be good. Gonna plan to start working on 1.5 acre plot in the next couple weeks when the weather makes up its mind that it's gonna stay warm. Plan on a Spring Mix either Powerplant and I/C Peas or I/C Peas with some local beans from co-op, etc.

Current plot look green and lush with rye grain and clover. Gonna just till under to add green manure, spread fertilizer and seed, and then drag over to cover an inch or so...

Does this look like I need ~90# Nitrogen and ~160# or so of Phosphorous? (for 1.5 acre). What's best mix of fertilizer to look for that isn't high on K but good on N and P?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X