Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say 2.5 and going to very nice later on

Comment

Kinda looks like some double beam potential as well..........if you cock yer head just right.

Comment

I would say 2.5

Comment

Those horns have great character!!
          Shame on you Doc, pimp'n protein/calcium laced corn on those young ones, don't you know it's bad for their lungs! LOL
          Name him "Rocket"
          Tag his ear and tell him he can have all the doe's he wants for the next 4 years!!!!

Comment

Doc....I've got to say that buck looks 2.5 in the face to me. His face already has the blonde/grey between his eyes and his face seems slightly angled. His antlers, particularly their mass and color would be extremely atypical for a 1.5 yr old.

Comment

He'll get 4 years from these pics, at least. He's called Traveler. I'll post further pics and tell his story later. I don't want to bias the guesses on age with his pics this year. LOL

Fact is, I don't know if he's been on protein. He follows me around in my own little private preserve. I saw him all last year and this last week I had him eating corn in my Hidey Hole every time I sat there. Next week, there will be a Boss Buck and a pen situated for his dining pleasure. I'll never be able to kill him, but I can watch him grow.

Steve W, I just got the "Rocket" thing. LOL. I'm slow. I wonder if I told him there was B 12 in the Boss Buck if he'd be more prone to eat it. LOL

Comment

I'm going to go with 2.5 although he does seem to be a small bodied deer. His chest area seems to be a little full for a 1.5 yr. old and he does have some staining in his hock area. Very nice genetics and great potential if you can keep him away from the poachers for another 4 years.

>E

Comment

I'm with the 2.5 crowd. If he gets the age he will be a stud regardless.

Comment

I don't have any video but I saw a couple out there last week that gave me the same problem. One was a wide eight and the other a tall ten and I could have sworn they were both yearlings. There was another yearling in the bunch that was just a four point and they all seemed identical.

Comment

gonna be an absolute giant!!! i say he is 2 and no more....very short.. not fat....nice start on the headgear though

Comment

This video was taken last year in late November/early December. Aging deer right now when everything is run down is really hard.

Comment

Very tough to say. Using the head/rack I'd say 2.5, but if you don't look at the head and just focus on the body 1.5.

He LOOKS GOOD THIS YEAR!!!

Comment

I bet he is a late born fawn and a 2 year old deer now.He could just be small bodied for his age but I bet he was a late born fawn! I'm guessing on the age but I think you know what he's gonna be in about 4 years!lol
                            Great potential on that little guy for sure!

Comment

Doc, I'm goin' with 2 1/2 and I also think he could be an early birth that has given him an extra month or so on his generation...

Don't know about your place, but on ours we have two distinct lines of deer. One line exhibits a short body and the other seems to have a longer body build. We often hang a buck up for weight and they drag the ground with the hoist all the way up... a typical 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 buck will weigh 145 to 165 field dressed. Then we'll hang up another one that has 6" to a foot of clearance between the deer and the ground, weigh 130 or less and they will age out at 4 1/2 or 5 1/2... their bodies are just a different shape and almost look like Coues deer... This little fella could be like that too.

Comment

If he was an early fawn, this would be his first set of antlers. If he was early and had no siblings, then he could have gotten a big jump on his size. He might have even had little spikes by January. We have one on our San Angelo place that actually shows signs of brows or extra beams in his one inch buttons. Next year, it'll be hard to know who he is, but I bet he's an exceptional first year buck. When I find my card for my camera, I'll capture pics of him.

If he was a late fawn, then this would be his second set of antlers. Still a fine deer, but not necessarily a superstar. If he was late, he might have been a little spike his first year, especially with drought conditions. Being behind, this would be his second set of antlers. I had him around me all last year and he didn't act like a 2 1/2 yo. He paid no attention to the ladies. All he did was EAT. He looked and acted like a baby. This year, he still likes to eat, but he'll chase buttons and does and doe fawns. Anything without horns. He'll chase and then EAT. If he hits the Boss Buck, he's going to grow up quickly.

He also showed signs of dispersal last year. He was seen early in the season about 4 miles from where I videoed him last season. Then, in mid November, he walked by my brother's ground blind as far across our lease as you could get from that early sighting. At least 6 miles. That's where he got the name Traveler. He has since returned "home". I didn't hunt much in that area this year because I was on a mission to kill Bo Point, but I've returned to check on my herd I had in there last year. Didn't take ol' Traveler long to come to my buffet. I hope he stays put and I can watch him grow over the next 4 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X