Turkey Fletchings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Fletchings

Well I finally broke down and gave it a try. I was going to buy a 6" benchtop sander and a straight clamp... but if I waited, I figured just like the years before, it wouldn't happen.

So I bought a 4" door hinge with squared edges to use as a clamp. I shoot 4" parabolic, So it was just right. Grinded using a 1" belt sander and holding it perpendicular... so not very optimal, but it sort of worked.

Used a feather chopper my wife bought for me 1 or 2 years ago now.

Definately needs some work, but I can justify the cost of a 6" sander now and a straight clamp.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Don't know much about trad stuff or fletching in general, admittedly... But that looks pretty good to me.

Comment

As many turkeys as you kill you should never have to buy fetching. Looks good.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 4 or 5” shield cut chopper I’ve thought about using with some turkey feathers. Not a trad shooter but it should work on carbon shafts. Those parabolic cut feathers look very good.

Comment

Look good to me!!

Comment

Looks Great!

Be sure to use a fresh air mask when sanding down the quils.... the dust is toxic so I have been told.

Comment

What he said^^^^^^!

Use a respirator when grinding!

Good work!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                Looks Great!

Be sure to use a fresh air mask when sanding down the quils.... the dust is toxic so I have been told.
                Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                What he said^^^^^^!

Use a respirator when grinding!

Good work!

Bisch

Yep, was using a respirator and goggles. That stuff dries out your skin too.

Comment

What's not to like about them?? They look like they are pretty smooth on the surface and appear to adhere to the shaft. I have a chopper as well, and it is surprising how much variance one can get if they do not pay attention when chopping. Yours appear to be uniform so, again???

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                    What's not to like about them?? They look like they are pretty smooth on the surface and appear to adhere to the shaft. I have a chopper as well, and it is surprising how much variance one can get if they do not pay attention when chopping. Yours appear to be uniform so, again???
                    You can't see it in the pics, but the quills could have been grinded down a little more uniformly. Some I left a little too thick... didn't realize until I clamped and glued them.

Comment

Turkey Fletchings

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      You can't see it in the pics, but the quills could have been grinded down a little more uniformly. Some I left a little too thick... didn't realize until I clamped and glued them.

Sounds just like Gateway! They have been selling them like that for years!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Bisch

Comment

Looks great! I've been getting the itch to try that myself. I saved the wing feathers from a turkey my wife killed this year. IF I ever get one killed this year (crappy turkey season so far) I may invest in the gear to start making my own fletching. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Be careful with the ones that you think are too thick. They will slice the top of your bow hand. You don't have to ask how I know this !

Comment

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
                            Be careful with the ones that you think are too thick. They will slice the top of your bow hand. You don't have to ask how I know this !
                            Yep. Been there. Done that. Don't wanna do that again ever. Pretty much why I was being critical of my work. Had to put extra glue up front.

With the right tools, it should be better next time.

Comment

The wild turkey feathers will last twice or three times longer than the ones you get at the store from domesticated birds!

Looks good!

Comment

Working...
                              X