Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gut Shot Pig

Wasn't recovered but it was fun anyway.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_b0cnlnyVg&feature=share"]CarniFour Fail - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happens sometimes. Fun just to get shots at them but it frustrates me to wound and lose one just like it does with a deer. Trouble is I shoot a lot more pigs than deer.

Comment

Man that hog jumped your string bad for a hog. If you pause the video right before the hog reacts to the shot you will see the crease of the hog is almost lined up with the feeder leg and if you pause the video when the arrow hits, the arrow almost lines up with the feeder leg. I still think it might have ended up a touch back if the hog didn't jump the string but not near as bad as it ended up.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
        Man that hog jumped your string bad for a hog. If you pause the video right before the hog reacts to the shot you will see the crease of the hog is almost lined up with the feeder leg and if you pause the video when the arrow hits, the arrow almost lines up with the feeder leg. I still think it might have ended up a touch back if the hog didn't jump the string but not near as bad as it ended up.
        Nice catch. That makes me feel better about my cruddy shooting. Lol

Comment

So funny to hear people say pigs dont jump the string. Videos like this show us a ton. The circle for me is perfect placement. Green is the feeder leg. And arrows point out height and distance on the front feeder leg. Also note the white dot on the feeder leg.

Comment

How far away were you? He sure did jump the string like crazy. Probably would have been a good shot if it had stayed still for you.

Comment

Comment

Nice work pointing out the string jumping. Love that!

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                How far away were you? He sure did jump the string like crazy. Probably would have been a good shot if it had stayed still for you.
                Just under 30

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  Just under 30
                  Interesting math: Assuming a 300fps bow, at just about 30 yards it took 300ms for that arrow to reach him... but only took 75ms for him to hear it. He had 225ms to react and move as far as he did.

There is some science to determine whether or not a person has committed a false start in running. The number they use is 100ms. If a person reacts faster than 100ms, they jumped the gun. I don't know what that number is for animals, but perhaps since they have for flight instincts it could be faster. Either way, assuming they could react in 125 ms or so, that hog had 100ms to move out of the way (1/10th of second) and we have seen what that looks like, all you need to do is move a foot or two.

So ideally, the distance you have to get to ensure they don't flinch, would be their reaction time. If it had been 15 yard shot, the time between sound and impact would be under the reaction time of a person at least. It would be cool if there was a study on animal reaction times by species.

All this math tells us is this: you should have use vanilla corn.

Comment

Interesting math: Assuming a 300fps bow, at just about 30 yards it took 300ms for that arrow to reach him... but only took 75ms for him to hear it. He had 225ms to react and move as far as he did.

There is some science to determine whether or not a person has committed a false start in running. The number they use is 100ms. If a person reacts faster than 100ms, they jumped the gun. I don't know what that number is for animals, but perhaps since they have for flight instincts it could be faster. Either way, assuming they could react in 125 ms or so, that hog had 100ms to move out of the way (1/10th of second) and we have seen what that looks like, all you need to do is move a foot or two.

So ideally, the distance you have to get to ensure they don't flinch, would be their reaction time. If it had been 15 yard shot, the time between sound and impact would be under the reaction time of a person at least. It would be cool if there was a study on animal reaction times by species.

I can tell you for a fact that a deer can react fast enough at 15 yards to make a good shot a bad shot and this was on a doe that was not alarmed in any way. I have no clue what their reaction time is but it's extremely fast.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                      I can tell you for a fact that a deer can react fast enough at 15 yards to make a good shot a bad shot and this was on a doe that was not alarmed in any way. I have no clue what their reaction time is but it's extremely fast.
                      I did a little research after my post above and of course the correlation on speed is the neuropathic length between senses and flight reaction. Humans are somebof the slowest... we gotta lot more in our pathways. No doubt deer are friggin fast ninjas and are most likely sub 100ms reactors.

Comment

Put a little Whipped Vodka in the corn. Makes em tipsy, slower reaction time = won't jump the shot

Comment

There was a study several years ago that said the worst ranges to get the reaction was 18 to 32 yards. Further the sound was not as close and startling and closer the reaction time was too short.

Comment

Do u remember where it was sounds like an interesting read

Comment

ya he jumped the **** outta that string. Was that ping the arrow hittin the feeder leg on the way out?

Comment

Working...
                              X