Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
    Here's a list of pipeline contractors

I don't know if any of them are hiring or where they have work at right now...

J.Irwin company - Paige, TX.
    R.D. Quinn - Freestone, TX.
    Flint - Palestine, TX.
    T&C Construction - Bryan, TX.
    Capco Construction - Henderson, TX.
    Troy Construction - Houston, TX.
    Boots Smith Construction - Laurel MS.
    Price-Gregory (Gregory & Cook) - Houston, TX.
    Pumpco - Giddings, TX.
    Barrilleaux Construction - Oakwood, TX.
    Eagle Pipeline Construction - Alvarado, TX.
    U.S. Pipeline - Houston, TX.
    you = winner

Comment

We do a lot of work in the midland/Odessa area and it's hopping, also did some work in pleasanton, south of San Antonio, looked like a lot of oilfield work aroun there. Buddy works for stallion oilfield services out of Carizzo springs I think they are always looking for there or around Texas somewhere.

Comment

Do you have a rig or just single hand? I haven't see a welder looking for work in two years here in South Texas.

Comment

I have a couple friends here in Pflugerville that work for McCoys Welding. I believe they are always looking for good welders not afraid to actually work.

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw38 View Post
            Do you have a rig or just single hand? I haven't see a welder looking for work in two years here in South Texas.
            X2! Get ya a rig and go to south Texas. You'll have a job in no time. hardest part is finding a place to stay. There and North Dakota is BOOMING.

Also there's a decent amount of work going on in Mont Belvieu (East of Houston/ North of Baytown.) NOWHERE near the amout of work going on in ND or S Texas but I know Lonestar is doing a lot of expansion down here and we've been crazy busy with work. I'm on 7 12s for at least the next 1-1 1/2 months till I go to Dow.

You could probaly get on with a pipeline company down here, and housing is no problem.

Check out this site:

Good luck to ya.

Ike
            Last edited by BigTex.308; 06-05-2012, 10:37 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Make sure you can pass a 6-G butt & branch on 12" .375 X-42/52 before you waste time & money.

Comment

pm sent

Comment

so i guess yalls advice for me is to tack up in a 6G position with some 6 inch pipe and burn rods untill the cows come home.

Comment

Originally posted by Trap-Daddy View Post
                    so i guess yalls advice for me is to tack up in a 6G position with some 6 inch pipe and burn rods untill the cows come home.
                    Yes BUT every pipeline welder I know claims to be a "bead hand". I've NEVER heard one claim to be a "capping hand". A slick cap gets more respect than a bead hand. A lot more practice & talent is required IMO.

Practice in 5G position (horizontal plane with a vertical weld) first with test coupons. Don't cheat and "roll it out"! Then take a section of pipe and draw a line around it with soapstone. Grind that line out as if you were grinding your bead to leave a groove. (this is for only a reference to weld) Put a cap on it. Brush it clean, let it cool a little then cap again next to it (no need to grind a ring around the pipe, use the edge of your previous cap as a reference). keep repeating this.

After a good amount of practice, start in on the 6G. Being able to control your weld pool, on the "off" side, on the bottom is critical.

KEEP YOUR MIND ON THE HORIZON!!!! You'll have a tendancy to want to "think" the weld bevel is vertical, it's not when you're on a 45*, remember that and weld accordingly.

ALWAYS get into the best comfortable position you can that's allowed before you even strike an arc.

The BEST advice I can give you is get that stinger in your hand with your hood down. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!

Good luck!

Comment

Oh and another thing,

NO GRINDER MARKS AND NO ARC BURNS!!!

Last edited by Tubby; 06-06-2012, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Ive been thinking about this too, whats it cost to get certified ? Ive been welding as a hobby for 20+ years now. At one time took I took the test where we would weld two plates together, cut'em in three pieces and bend them in a "u" shape in the press to see if your welds were any good. Simple enought.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                          Yes BUT every pipeline welder I know claims to be a "bead hand". I've NEVER heard one claim to be a "capping hand". A slick cap gets more respect than a bead hand. A lot more practice & talent is required IMO.

Practice in 5G position (horizontal plane with a vertical weld) first with test coupons. Don't cheat and "roll it out"! Then take a section of pipe and draw a line around it with soapstone. Grind that line out as if you were grinding your bead to leave a groove. (this is for only a reference to weld) Put a cap on it. Brush it clean, let it cool a little then cap again next to it (no need to grind a ring around the pipe, use the edge of your previous cap as a reference). keep repeating this.

After a good amount of practice, start in on the 6G. Being able to control your weld pool, on the "off" side, on the bottom is critical.

KEEP YOUR MIND ON THE HORIZON!!!! You'll have a tendancy to want to "think" the weld bevel is vertical, it's not when you're on a 45*, remember that and weld accordingly.

ALWAYS get into the best comfortable position you can that's allowed before you even strike an arc.

The BEST advice I can give you is get that stinger in your hand with your hood down. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!

Good luck!
                          Thanks for the advice. Im gonna make sure to burn a few hundred more rods each week after i weld a few of whatever weld we are working on for the week. Im confident that my 6" 5G and 6G will bend out but i agree that the cap is what gets the respect and thats where i need to fine tune without a doubt.

Comment

Trap-Daddy,

I just had a follow up interview in Longviiew TX with Trinity Rail. Right now they're taking just about every welder they can get at that location.....expect 80 hours a week (Not joking)

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Tarleton Jake View Post
                              Trap-Daddy,

I just had a follow up interview in Longviiew TX with Trinity Rail. Right now they're taking just about every welder they can get at that location.....expect 80 hours a week (Not joking)

Jake
                              i would jump on that like a fat girl on a snickers but im stuck here in OK untill august 20th.

Comment

Originally posted by expressfish View Post
                                Ive been thinking about this too, whats it cost to get certified ? Ive been welding as a hobby for 20+ years now. At one time took I took the test where we would weld two plates together, cut'em in three pieces and bend them in a "u" shape in the press to see if your welds were any good. Simple enought.
                                Being a plate test, this would certify you for AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code. If you would want to get your own certification, it would cost you about $500 per welding procedure you tested to.

A pipe test like I described earlier, if I have to supply the materials you're looking at $1,500 - $2,000 for API 1104 only. If ANSI B 31.1 is thown in the mix, add another $1,000

Comment

Working...
                                X