Lumber Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumber Prices

We have been in the process of building a new house and the quote we had for our lumber had run out so we had it re-quoted yesterday and in the past few months it's gone up $11.000.00. This is kinda blowing my budget and the cushion we had built in.

I work with lumber on a regular basis, I haven't seen that increase in my area. I'm not knocking on the contractor, but I would guess that they may have misquoted you the first go around, saw the error and made sure not to miss it the second time. I could be wrong on this, but I have not personally seen the increase on my end

Comment

There has been a definite rise in lumber over the last month, 25-40% is what I was told by multiple construction friends. It is costing them money, as they had already locked in some jobs at the lower prices.

Comment

It’s gotten super high!! And I’m getting it at cost for my project from a buddy that is a lumber salesman! And that’s all he does every day is sell lumber. Even he said it’s gone through the roof!! Go look at HD or Lowe’s and see what OSB has gone to...just crazy!!

Comment

well, I stand corrected, and do not look forward to the increase on my end! I still have a few projects in the works, luckily they are personal projects so I won't be losing profit. Thank you for the clarification

Comment

Had a fence put up last month. They talked about having to go to Dallas for wood. The last 20 feet of fence he used bits and pieces to install. I will get that section re-done at some point....................

Comment

It’s strange that lumber prices are high, when sawmills are paying lower prices for logs.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                We have been in the process of building a new house and the quote we had for our lumber had run out so we had it re-quoted yesterday and in the past few months it's gone up $11.000.00. This is kinda blowing my budget and the cushion we had built in.
                Lumber market is crazy right now. I think its jumped something like 50% in the past 3 months. Im supposed to break ground on a home next month and its really making me pause and think if it would be worth waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by RingSteel View Post
                  It’s strange that lumber prices are high, when sawmills are paying lower prices for logs.
                  From what I have heard Covid made multiple smaller saw mils close their doors. This left one of the larger saw mils in the south providing wood for pretty much everyone. A tornado then hit the larger saw mil and destroyed it.

This was the story a fence contractor gave my old man when the quoted price went up $1500, in a couple month span. I do not have a clue if it is true. Personally it sounds a little fishy.

Comment

Demand is through the roof and supply is alittle more constrained right now.

Comment

A bunch of the mills have closed, I believe from when covid broke out. Bunch of people still cutting down logs with nobody to sell them to drives down prices on that side of things. Bunch of people wanting to build a home with low interest rates and not enough mills to supply all that processed lumber is driving up costs on the consumer side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                        Lumber market is crazy right now. I think its jumped something like 50% in the past 3 months. Im supposed to break ground on a home next month and its really making me pause and think if it would be worth waiting.
                        Our lumber yard said if he was going to build he would wait until after the 1st of the year but we've already gotten our loan and are about ready to pour our slab. We are getting two other quotes to see if they can beat that price and we'll have to make a decision.

Comment

Kind of like beef / cattle prices

Comment

My lease mate runs a wholesale lumber operation. He told me recently that he will not be surprised if there are lumber yards without lumber in the coming months. High demand, low supply, Covid shutdowns, tariffs, etc., etc., etc.

Comment

Yep Lumber and material prices are up around 30% around here. Also, get ready to wait 2-3 months to get appliances for your new home. Certain things are very difficult to get right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X