No announcement yet.

A Buck's Nose - How good is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He most certainly could have smelled you. Now whether he associated your scent from the barn as an immediate threat, who can say. being that it's a barn and probably has a lot of human scent in it probably not, but he knew to keep an eye on it though.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
      I think any level of wind will ruin the "thermals" theory.

Not really... how the thermals and the wind interact becomes more and more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He most definitely could smell you.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
          Not really... how the thermals and the wind interact becomes more and more important.

Yes, really. Any amount of legitimate wind can completely negate the effect of thermals.

"Finally, of course, you must also pay attention to the prevailing wind direction. A steady wind blowing across a slope could negate any effect thermals have on airflow. Depending on its strength, the prevailing wind could also work with thermals to carry your scent in an uphill- or downhill-quartering direction."

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
            Yes, really. Any amount of legitimate wind can completely negate the effect of thermals.

"Finally, of course, you must also pay attention to the prevailing wind direction. A steady wind blowing across a slope could negate any effect thermals have on airflow. Depending on its strength, the prevailing wind could also work with thermals to carry your scent in an uphill- or downhill-quartering direction."

There are MANY topographic features that shelter areas from direct wind. These areas can easily have thermal action with moderate sustained winds. The description above is correct, winds ACROSS a slope can negate a thermal, or cause deviations from expected thermal action, but not winds across a ridge line.

Leeward sides of any high feature, for example, will be sheltered from prevailing winds and still be subject to thermal action.

This isn’t just my opinion, but is often modeled and used in fighting forest fires. This link has a free software available that produces such models.

Hang gliders also have produced extensive reading options on thermals on a larger scale, as well as their interactions with prevailing winds.

That is why I said that thermal interaction with prevailing wind is important, and that prevailing wind doesn’t completely negate thermals. They interact in complex, but somewhat predictable ways. With this more whole information, decisions can be made to better take advantage of land features and wind conditions.

Comment

Yep

Comment

I hunt on a clear cut so when I get to the top of the hill I can see my food plot that is 200 yds away. When the wind is blowing from me to them within 2 minutes they smell me and leave.

Comment

Fairly easily I could imagine..

Comment

I remember reading that a deers nose is like 10 times better than a dogs nose, that some pretty serious smelling right there.

Comment

Get some milkweed fibers or some marabou feather strands and let them float off from your stand and you can easily see where the thermals are taking your scent to.

You can use the 2 part skunk scent called Skunk Fusion and beat a deer's nose almost every time. Almost but not every time. I've used it for over 40 years and could bore you for hours with the many times I've had deer walk down wind and not smell me. When they do catch some part of you, they will usually walk around testing the wind and may turn around but will almost never blow. It's really unbelievable stuff. I've gotten several on here to try it and they all use it every hunt now.

Comment

Could he have smelled you? Yes.

However, if he could smell you so could she. I would think if either of them smelled you it would have been game over, and they would have been in the next county before you realized they were gone.

Most likely scenario to me is he was just suspicious of the barn in general and was giving it extra attention. It only appeared he was looking directly at you.

Either that or you weren’t as hidden as you thought you were, and he was trying to figure out what you were.

Comment

Deer's nose is second only to a hog's nose...

Comment

I think the figure I heard was that a deer has 100,000 more scent receptors in their nose than a dog does. Something like that. Regardless, he definitely could’ve smelled you from 75 yards no problem.

Comment

The latest Wired to Hunt podcast discusses this in great detail. It is quite interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X