Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
Eagle19
Ten Point

Hunt In: Every where in Texas
Default Does this sound like a cool idea?

So for those of you that don't remember, about 6-7 months ago I posted that I was leaving my job to chase a dream of starting a marketing business in the outdoor industry. It has gone better than I could imagine! But of course I'm always looking for more solutions to help more smaller businesses in the outdoor industry.

One road block that I've got was trying to aquire small bait companies. They can't afford my fees and don't make enough profits to make my current services worth it. So I think I've come up with a solution, that I want some feed back from you guys on.

So I'll start another company, and for the most part it will be email marketing related. You'll get a weekly email about new baits from bait companies. It will only have 6 baits on them, each from a different bait company. But it will have instructions on how to fish the baits and for what fish. There will be a section for tips and tricks, and even a section with lunar phases.

There will also be a yearly membership where you pay a few bucks and you get 20% off or so at 10 different bait shops.

Think about it like lucky tackle box or mystery tackle box but you don't have to pay money. It's just an email and you can choose to purchase the baits if they look good or browse the bait manufacturers website to what else they offer.

Does this sound like something you might sign up for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eagle19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
muzzyslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collin,Grayson and Fannin Counties

nope
muzzyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzyslinger View Post
nope

Awesome! What are your objections or what do you see as a pitfall?

Old 07-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
4R Daddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranger

I think it’s a pretty good idea. My only thought would be that I get so many emails that most like this eventually get ignored.

4R Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4R Daddy View Post
I think it’s a pretty good idea. My only thought would be that I get so many emails that most like this eventually get ignored.

Yeah I get that! So far in the outdoor industry my open rate is 25% so I understand that. We'll be on social media for the younger generation too. I've already got a time to help people look forward to it every week and so if they order baits they can hopefully get them by the weekend.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

In coming PM------
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #7
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette

I think is a good concept for die hard fisherman. Arm chair fisherman like me maybe. I signed up for Lucky Tackle Box and get a box a month. I have so many of those things laying around unopened.
buzzbait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #8
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I think something like this already may exist. My son is really into fishing and he gets a Mystery Tackle Box.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #9
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbait View Post
I think is a good concept for die hard fisherman. Arm chair fisherman like me maybe. I signed up for Lucky Tackle Box and get a box a month. I have so many of those things laying around unopened.

That was my experience too. I would use them but it might be months and it was because my wife threatened to throw them away.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

No
brokeno is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #11
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I think something like this already may exist. My son is really into fishing and he gets a Mystery Tackle Box.

It might! But if it does it lacks in marketing.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #12
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
No

Cool! Why could you not see yourself using this?

Old 07-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #13
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

I think this is a high volume low return type of thing where you would want to cater to niche fishing trends across the nation. Have some baits featured and tech tips specially for the Minnesota folks that would only receive emails on those specific baits, have the latest and greatest baits for the brackish water in coastal Carolinas, etc. Louisiana fishermen fish for specs differently than Texas fishermen, same for crappie/sac-a-lait.

If you combine the emails where there’s one for each region or area, I think it would be too diluted for anyone to really pursue. Also, consider your audience. You’ve got guides and serious fishermen who follow every bit of news there is. But a LOT of folks are the hot dog on a hook type that are happy to use what they’ve always used and may not be interested or follow through with new or more expensive products.

Like everything else, criticize your idea with all the potential drawbacks and if it holds up, then pedal to the metal.

Good luck!
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #14
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:

AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #15
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
I think this is a high volume low return type of thing where you would want to cater to niche fishing trends across the nation. Have some baits featured and tech tips specially for the Minnesota folks that would only receive emails on those specific baits, have the latest and greatest baits for the brackish water in coastal Carolinas, etc. Louisiana fishermen fish for specs differently than Texas fishermen, same for crappie/sac-a-lait.

If you combine the emails where there’s one for each region or area, I think it would be too diluted for anyone to really pursue. Also, consider your audience. You’ve got guides and serious fishermen who follow every bit of news there is. But a LOT of folks are the hot dog on a hook type that are happy to use what they’ve always used and may not be interested or follow through with new or more expensive products.

Like everything else, criticize your idea with all the potential drawbacks and if it holds up, then pedal to the metal.

Good luck!

I appreciate the great feed back!

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do that. I might build a program to help me do that.

I was also thinking about dividing the states in half for freshwater a North and South and then people can opt in for salt water if they wish.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:58 PM   #16
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:

That product almost makes my plan look like a steal in my opinion. $40 a month is crazy! My email would be free, you know what you're getting when you buy something, and you aren't required to spend $40 a month.

The downside to that box too is that for the small bait company there are no true matrix of how the items would sell.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:58 PM   #17
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

No advice but good luck and glad to ear things are going well
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #18
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle19 View Post
I appreciate the great feed back!

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do that. I might build a program to help me do that.

I was also thinking about dividing the states in half for freshwater a North and South and then people can opt in for salt water if they wish.

I think there is some great potential with your idea, but you just need to be extremely tactical with how you do it. Is there an opportunity to push some of the sample baits to guides ahead of the marketing so that you can back your email info with recommendations from well known guides?

One thing that I think a lot of the regular guys would really bite on is to do a “scientific “ study on the success rate with common local go-to baits compared to the success rate with the new stuff. Then you could advise the regular avid amateur fisherman on whether the new stuff provided a measurable advantage. They could then pick and choose which baits to go after, and it would give your marketing some objective credibility that you weren’t just slinging baits for whoever had paid for an ad type of thing.

Fishermen are similar to baseball fans. 100% belief in “science” and “statistics” which is backed entirely by opinion and superstition. Tap into that in a credible way so that your customers acknowledge (to themselves) that real data beats their “tried and true”, and I’ll think you’ve got a winner.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #19
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
I think there is some great potential with your idea, but you just need to be extremely tactical with how you do it. Is there an opportunity to push some of the sample baits to guides ahead of the marketing so that you can back your email info with recommendations from well known guides?

One thing that I think a lot of the regular guys would really bite on is to do a “scientific “ study on the success rate with common local go-to baits compared to the success rate with the new stuff. Then you could advise the regular avid amateur fisherman on whether the new stuff provided a measurable advantage. They could then pick and choose which baits to go after, and it would give your marketing some objective credibility that you weren’t just slinging baits for whoever had paid for an ad type of thing.

Fishermen are similar to baseball fans. 100% belief in “science” and “statistics” which is backed entirely by opinion and superstition. Tap into that in a credible way so that your customers acknowledge (to themselves) that real data beats their “tried and true”, and I’ll think you’ve got a winner.

Last two cents on my own unqualified opinion. I think your success will not hinge on the baits as much as it will on the valuable information you provide with respect to whether the free samples or new baits give the customer something they don’t yet have...ie., information is the product, not the baits.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #20
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Absolutely not. I don't fish so no interest from me. I hunt but can't stand getting never ending e mails about products from vendors that I don't need or want so I unsubscribe to every one I get.
PYBUCK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 11:03 PM   #21
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:

That's a very valid point.

My thoughts kind of reside along the lines of science doesn't always prove to catch more. I think a lot of it has do with creatures and presentation. I fish a lot of high pressured areas and I've always found that new creatures can catch a lot of big fish. But I see what your saying, give more insight other than just buy this bait.

I was literally thinking today on how I can get guides involved and that's a good idea. I wanted to get 3 guides in every state. Have them all listed on our website because we should be getting a lot of traffic to it.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #22
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Last two cents on my own unqualified opinion. I think your success will not hinge on the baits as much as it will on the valuable information you provide with respect to whether the free samples or new baits give the customer something they don’t yet have...ie., information is the product, not the baits.

I agree, that's why I typically get good open rates. Not so much "Sale. Sale. Sale."

Old 07-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #23
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYBUCK View Post
Absolutely not. I don't fish so no interest from me. I hunt but can't stand getting never ending e mails about products from vendors that I don't need or want so I unsubscribe to every one I get.

Just out of curiosity, how do you do most of your shopping for hunting? How do you find out about sales?

Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #24
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco / Ira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle19 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you do most of your shopping for hunting? How do you find out about sales?

Social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook)

For me, email is not a form of solicitation. It’s strictly for business purposes and anything else is trashed / unsubscribed ASAP. Even solicitations that pertain my business are quickly disregarded.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 11:16 PM   #25
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
Social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook)

For me, email is not a form of solicitation. It’s strictly for business purposes and anything else is trashed / unsubscribed ASAP. Even solicitations that pertain my business are quickly disregarded.

Awesome. We'll be on those mediums as well. I just have a really big list of emails already. It's also very easy to track via email give full information. Social media we can only give bits and pieces, not as much perceived value at one time.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:29 PM   #26
Hooverfb
Eight Point

Just my 2 cents, given the above as well. Info is whst you're selling. If a shop taped all the logos on every bait so all you could see was the bait itself, folks would only be able to tell the different baits and color lol. Might as well be the same at that point, so you gotta feed what differentiates the product. The same goes for your marketing, look at it from the five forces perspective. You know outdoors marketing exists and you're capitalizing on suppliers who specifically have weaker buying power than the big guys, to try to carve out a niche in consumers. Internally there's lots of competiion with the marketing from the big guys. Do you consider barrier to entry low or high? Is there something you can do to raise that barrier ( the barrier here is not whether it can be done, but done effectively and at a profit!). Since you're not targeting the big guys, risk of substitutes is moderate, as they could pony up for the big market established models and get outfitted with all that, but wouldn't make much sense for themselves yet. So that leaves looking at it from a resource driven/ product difference view. Do you offer something valuable enough to make this profitable? The idea yo have guide testimonials is a good differentiator. That's as close to IP as you'll get in this industry probably. so what about your information delivery system? Do you have this as a resource that differentiates you from competition? I think you're on a good start with the guides, but just in your few messages above, you've already identified a market need: most outdoors ads are inefficient and unwanted. So how do you address the inefficiency in a way that allows you to capitalize on smaller accounts? It may help you in larger accounts as well, given thay itsa general industry wide issue.

If it were me, I'd look into delivering good solid info ( I especially like the idea of how to fish the lure), but the email format only rolls around maybe once a quarter. During that quarter, have guides/shops compile videos of their review and usage of the product. Users familiar with your advertising will get used to going to the site or youtube channel you release these product reviews on. they'll get that reminder every quarter that there's some new things they may have missed. People like sales, they like reviews/testimonial advertising, but they likeit on their time, especially now. You could even work up some leasing fees for video equipment since I'm sure most accounts won't want to permanently invest in video equipment or such.

Last edited by Hooverfb; 07-13-2018 at 11:32 PM. Reason: I apologize for all the misspellings. Typing on a phone.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 11:32 PM   #27
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

I buy all my tackle locally from people I know that make exactly what I want. I don't open many emails and I'm not on Facebook or anything but it seems there a lot of people looking for info through those channels. Good luck with your venture!

Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 11:35 PM   #28
equyst
Six Point

Absolutely not
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 11:42 PM   #29
G5-Maniac
Eight Point

I literally hate 98% of my emails. I hate buying something and then getting emails from the store everyday. And most of the people I fish with are the same way. We either buy baits that we see in a store or read about on forums like this. But most the time we buy the exact or close to the exact bait we’ve used and caught fish on before.

G5-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #30
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
Just my 2 cents, given the above as well. Info is whst you're selling. If a shop taped all the logos on every bait so all you could see was the bait itself, folks would only be able to tell the different baits and color lol. Might as well be the same at that point, so you gotta feed what differentiates the product. The same goes for your marketing, look at it from the five forces perspective. You know outdoors marketing exists and you're capitalizing on suppliers who specifically have weaker buying power than the big guys, to try to carve out a niche in consumers. Internally there's lots of competiion with the marketing from the big guys. Do you consider barrier to entry low or high? Is there something you can do to raise that barrier ( the barrier here is not whether it can be done, but done effectively and at a profit!). Since you're not targeting the big guys, risk of substitutes is moderate, as they could pony up for the big market established models and get outfitted with all that, but wouldn't make much sense for themselves yet. So that leaves looking at it from a resource driven/ product difference view. Do you offer something valuable enough to make this profitable? The idea yo have guide testimonials is a good differentiator. That's as close to IP as you'll get in this industry probably. so what about your information delivery system? Do you have this as a resource that differentiates you from competition? I think you're on a good start with the guides, but just in your few messages above, you've already identified a market need: most outdoors ads are inefficient and unwanted. So how do you address the inefficiency in a way that allows you to capitalize on smaller accounts? It may help you in larger accounts as well, given thay itsa general industry wide issue.

If it were me, I'd look into delivering good solid info ( I especially like the idea of how to fish the lure), but the email format only rolls around maybe once a quarter. During that quarter, have guides/shops compile videos of their review and usage of the product. Users familiar with your advertising will get used to going to the site or youtube channel you release these product reviews on. they'll get that reminder every quarter that there's some new things they may have missed. People like sales, they like reviews/testimonial advertising, but they likeit on their time, especially now. You could even work up some leasing fees for video equipment since I'm sure most accounts won't want to permanently invest in video equipment or such.

I like those ideas and I agree with people want info on their time. They'll sit down and watch and research stuff for hours.

The down side of only sending an email once a quarter is that it doesn't convert enough info for us to sell the ads. The idea behind the email is that these people will sign up for our emails mostly. So they will want our email not just constant spam.

As far as videos go, I've got a studio and cameras. We will do all the filming and explaining, and taking pictures. A lot of people can't produce the quality of content that I want and the only way to control that is do it myself with my team. This will allow us to have content for YouTube and so fourth. As well as we can take pictures of each bait and they all look consistent and professional. Then we can have guides give ratings and comments.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #31
Eagle19
Ten Point

Bump!

Old 07-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #32
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

My company just moved to Quick Books. It is a nightmare. Best software - just hard....
Still tweaking on it 5 months later.
QB pro's make 50 to 100 an hour.
Just saying..................
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top