Does this sound like a cool idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this sound like a cool idea?

So for those of you that don't remember, about 6-7 months ago I posted that I was leaving my job to chase a dream of starting a marketing business in the outdoor industry. It has gone better than I could imagine! But of course I'm always looking for more solutions to help more smaller businesses in the outdoor industry.

One road block that I've got was trying to aquire small bait companies. They can't afford my fees and don't make enough profits to make my current services worth it. So I think I've come up with a solution, that I want some feed back from you guys on.

So I'll start another company, and for the most part it will be email marketing related. You'll get a weekly email about new baits from bait companies. It will only have 6 baits on them, each from a different bait company. But it will have instructions on how to fish the baits and for what fish. There will be a section for tips and tricks, and even a section with lunar phases.

There will also be a yearly membership where you pay a few bucks and you get 20% off or so at 10 different bait shops.

Think about it like lucky tackle box or mystery tackle box but you don't have to pay money. It's just an email and you can choose to purchase the baits if they look good or browse the bait manufacturers website to what else they offer.

Does this sound like something you might sign up for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nope

Comment

Originally posted by muzzyslinger View Post
      nope

Awesome! What are your objections or what do you see as a pitfall?

Comment

I think it’s a pretty good idea. My only thought would be that I get so many emails that most like this eventually get ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by 4R Daddy View Post
          I think it’s a pretty good idea. My only thought would be that I get so many emails that most like this eventually get ignored.

Yeah I get that! So far in the outdoor industry my open rate is 25% so I understand that. We'll be on social media for the younger generation too. I've already got a time to help people look forward to it every week and so if they order baits they can hopefully get them by the weekend.

Comment

In coming PM------

Comment

I think is a good concept for die hard fisherman. Arm chair fisherman like me maybe. I signed up for Lucky Tackle Box and get a box a month. I have so many of those things laying around unopened.

Comment

I think something like this already may exist. My son is really into fishing and he gets a Mystery Tackle Box.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                  I think is a good concept for die hard fisherman. Arm chair fisherman like me maybe. I signed up for Lucky Tackle Box and get a box a month. I have so many of those things laying around unopened.

That was my experience too. I would use them but it might be months and it was because my wife threatened to throw them away.

Comment

No

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      I think something like this already may exist. My son is really into fishing and he gets a Mystery Tackle Box.

It might! But if it does it lacks in marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                        No

Cool! Why could you not see yourself using this?

Comment

I think this is a high volume low return type of thing where you would want to cater to niche fishing trends across the nation. Have some baits featured and tech tips specially for the Minnesota folks that would only receive emails on those specific baits, have the latest and greatest baits for the brackish water in coastal Carolinas, etc. Louisiana fishermen fish for specs differently than Texas fishermen, same for crappie/sac-a-lait.

If you combine the emails where there’s one for each region or area, I think it would be too diluted for anyone to really pursue. Also, consider your audience. You’ve got guides and serious fishermen who follow every bit of news there is. But a LOT of folks are the hot dog on a hook type that are happy to use what they’ve always used and may not be interested or follow through with new or more expensive products.

Like everything else, criticize your idea with all the potential drawbacks and if it holds up, then pedal to the metal.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                              I think this is a high volume low return type of thing where you would want to cater to niche fishing trends across the nation. Have some baits featured and tech tips specially for the Minnesota folks that would only receive emails on those specific baits, have the latest and greatest baits for the brackish water in coastal Carolinas, etc. Louisiana fishermen fish for specs differently than Texas fishermen, same for crappie/sac-a-lait.

If you combine the emails where there’s one for each region or area, I think it would be too diluted for anyone to really pursue. Also, consider your audience. You’ve got guides and serious fishermen who follow every bit of news there is. But a LOT of folks are the hot dog on a hook type that are happy to use what they’ve always used and may not be interested or follow through with new or more expensive products.

Like everything else, criticize your idea with all the potential drawbacks and if it holds up, then pedal to the metal.

Good luck!

I appreciate the great feed back!

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do that. I might build a program to help me do that.

I was also thinking about dividing the states in half for freshwater a North and South and then people can opt in for salt water if they wish.

Comment

Working...
                              X