Shop Floor Epoxy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shop Floor Epoxy question

Going to put Epoxy or something on my new shop floor. Anyone have recommendations for the best do it yourself application? Anything I should stay away from?

Thanks!

I used a kit that I purchased from Sherwin Williams and have been more than pleased with it. I would make sure to toss the flakes on top to prevent slipping when wet. In addition, the kit I used had a clear coat that you added some "grit" to for an increased non slip effect.

Make sure you follow manufacturers instructions for cleaning the concrete first. This is very important to achieving a solid bond between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
      I used a kit that I purchased from Sherwin Williams and have been more than pleased with it. I would make sure to toss the flakes on top to prevent slipping when wet. In addition, the kit I used had a clear coat that you added some "grit" to for an increased non slip effect.

Make sure you follow manufacturers instructions for cleaning the concrete first. This is very important to achieving a solid bond between the two.
      Thanks Brother. I had a company quote me a price, they actually used the Sherwin Williams product in their application but they wanted $4800 for a 1500 sq ft..

Comment

Look at H&C Stain, they sell it at Lowes and Sherwin. Do that, toss in the paint chips, and then seal with clear epoxy. Way cheaper and will last forever. You can add a product called shark skin to the clear to help with traction.

Comment

ttt I need ideas for man cave floor in my shop too.

Comment

go to Epoxyplus.com and watch their videos. No need to pay anyone to do it. super simple. hardly any labor at all.

Comment

Check out the garargejournal.com forum for garage floors. There are multiple industry guys in there with lots of product knowledge. Some offer discounts. You may need to grind your floors first.

I used the epoxy stuff from lowes and was not happy. I ended up needing twice the amount for the garage. Was more expensive than professional products.

Comment

Where are you located? A buddy of mine does this for garages,shops, porches, etc. TxFloors on Facebook. Based out of the cypress area, travel all around Houston and surrounding areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you buy the DIY kit, I would recommend buying some extra muriatic acid from the pool supply house. Getting the concrete cleaned and etched is the most important aspect. The acid that comes with the kit is not enough, especially if it is a really dirty floor.

Comment

Epoxyplus.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post

This is what I used and I love it. Try to find someone with an account at SW. My BIL has one and it was almost half bc he had a contractors account. As mentioned above make sure you get the grit on it bc is is VERY slick when wet.

Comment

I have used the Rustoleum garage floor kit two times and it works great. The most important step is the acid wash and scoring of the concrete prior to putting the epoxy down.
                        Once that is done, it rolled on about 4' x 4' section at a time and then sprinkled the cores flakes on top of that section.
                        I would also highly recommend adding the sand so your floor is not slick when you are finished.
                        To have somebody do it for you is very expensive when the reality is that it's not difficult to do yourself. If your garage floor is fairly new and not stained with oil etc, the acid wash will be much easier.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

For those that have done DIY, would you attempt it on an old concrete floor that is stained with oil? I know the cleaning process will be a bear, but it a heavy cleaning still a DIY possible?

Comment

Originally posted by RingSteel View Post
                            For those that have done DIY, would you attempt it on an old concrete floor that is stained with oil? I know the cleaning process will be a bear, but it a heavy cleaning still a DIY possible?
                            Yes it is very doable, the cleaning job as you say will just take more effort is all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sherwin Williams sells a off the shelf DIY kit but isn't what I would consider a great product. They also carry a commercial two part product thats much better called Tile Clad that I've used on a lot of projects without issue. It comes in several colors. I would also recommend Home Depots small bags of the speckles to help break up imperfection in both the paint and the concrete needed with the glossy finish it will have. A three car garage usually will require 4-5 bags. The non slip product I'd recommend is Shark Grip also. As mentioned, prep is everything. Diluted muriatic acid is a good way to etch the surface but additional prep may be required with older concrete.
                              Last edited by Notaguide; 04-25-2018, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X