Premarital Counseling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premarital Counseling

Alright guys and gals of the GS; today is my fiance and my first appointment with our premarital counselor. We have been engaged since last May and the wedding will be in May of next year. For those of whom have gone through premarital counseling, can you please give me some advise I.E. the does and don'ts. I have never been to any sort of counseling session, so I will be out of my element. Needless to day, I am a little nervous. Thank you for any advise.

-D

On the form that you will need to fill out. In the section where it says Sex:___

Do not write I LOVE SEX.

Trust me on this one.

Comment

Don't do it......marriage that is. All I got.

Comment

If ur doin counseling before you get hitched, god help you

Comment

Originally posted by EliteZ28Bow View Post
          Alright guys and gals of the GS; today is my fiance and my first appointment with our premarital counselor. We have been engaged since last May and the wedding will be in May of next year. For those of whom have gone through premarital counseling, can you please give me some advise I.E. the does and don'ts. I have never been to any sort of counseling session, so I will be out of my element. Needless to day, I am a little nervous. Thank you for any advise.

-D
          Just be truthful and honest. As a multiple marriage failure myself, I recommend taking the counselors advice and truly thinking about it and applying it.

Originally posted by talleywack97 View Post
          If ur doin counseling before you get hitched, god help you
          Its preventative. Some pastors/churches require it.

Comment

Lots of churches make you do counseling before the preacher will marry you... We did it, and it was pretty dumb. They basically just asked us some questions, gave some advice, gave his phone number, and told us to read some books... Advice was good Godly advice, and actually useful for us. Ours talked about the different "Love Languages" and that alone made it worth going to IMO.

Comment

my wife and I did counseling for over a year and it was well worth it too us. The one thing I can recommend is be 100% truthful and always listen to what is said. We chose the counseling on our own and it taught us a lot

Comment

None of the advice will make sense till your married. Then once married you'll need more counseling, not a bad thing. Then after your ready to quit then you'll have to decide that you only control you and that you must decide if you are fully committed no matter how hard it gets. Last piece is I think you should stop dragging your feet and just get married if you're already living together. My wife and i knew each other 5 days before we decided to get married, married 3 months later. Our marriage has been up and down like everyone else's. We celebrate 6 years in December and have a 6 month old. It is an adventure, enjoy.

Comment

We did ours with the pastor that married us. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Gave advice/reading for couples about to be married. Made sure views were the same. You won't learn anything you probably already knew. The sex topic was awkward but the pastor didn't ask many personal questions. Our was more just talking so the preacher got to know us better and we were serious about getting married.

Comment

We got married out of state, and I didn't meet the pastor until the day before. He was a little preterbed that we hadn't done the counseling and said something about not marrying us. I was more than a little preterbed at the implication that we hadn't put all necessary thought into this well before the weekend of the wedding, and said something about how many pastors there must be in this town. We got married.

Comment

Find a woman you hate and buy her a house.

Comment

As said above, honesty above all else.

Comment

31 years of marriage. Never been to counseling. No major arguments. We talk, joke, love, and respect each other.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife and I did it and thought it was pretty good. Nothing we didn't already expect, but our "premarital class" was ok. I think it's great especially if your going into the marriage thinking everything is smooth sailing (we did not). Guess the best thing we/I got out of it was the importance of communication.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                              Just be truthful and honest. As a multiple marriage failure myself, I recommend taking the counselors advice and truly thinking about it and applying it.

Its preventative. Some pastors/churches require it.
                              ^^^this. Our pastor requires premarital counseling. After talking with a few couples, it comes highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                              X