Rock springs / camp wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rock springs / camp wood

Looking to buy property in this area and I'm unfamiliar with the he area , I have hunted there before and fell in love .. I'm wanting to know some dos and don'ts about buying there and which areas to stay away from . Found a place north west of camp wood off off 55 and cr 350 , and would like to know if that's a good area, it's way off the pavement so I would think that's better ? I'm not really concerned with huge whitetail but would like to have chances at good exotics year round .
    Thanks for any input ..

I have been looking in the area as well, and I can comfortably say, if it's cheap, then it's probably on a steep hillside, and requires 4 wheel drive to access. (I always ask this question) Prices vary according to how accessible electricity is or already on the property.

Comment

Try to buy in the outer perimeter of the ranch.
      Most big ranches have been cut up into small ranchettes and when those places are new and just opened up the hunting can be outstanding for a few years until your neighbors around you shoot everything along with all their buddies and relatives hunting and filling their tags.
      Finding a place that backs up to a large ranch can help prolong the "good hunting" as long as the adjoining rancher doesn't decide to high fence you.
      Cheap acreage in that area is usually cheap for a reason....Do your homework!

Comment

As said above, a TON of Edwards county has been chopped up into little 60-75 acre ranchettes. Most are on a central road with easements through everyone with no fences and feeders on every place. I really like the area and it has a ton of animals from deer to all kinds of free range exotics. I would try and find something "free standing" if possible not in a broken up place....

Comment

I hunted a ranch off fm 350. Harley Wood's ranch. My only concern would be water availability and ingress/egress during heavy rains.

Comment

You know the good, it's as pretty as Texas gets and full of animals.

Hogs will be a problem.
            Anthrax will happen every few years and kill a % of your white tails.
            When we were in Montell, the epicenter was in Laguna and TPWD estimated it killed 90%.
            When we moved to Barksdale it happened once and killed the ranchers bull and maybe half our white tails.

And its a numbers game before a bump gate, bumps you back.

Spent 7 seasons out there and loved it.

Comment

Keep it coming

Comment

Get with Chance Love on here. He can inform you

Comment

We got a Place 15 from Rocksprings off of Hwy 41 & CR 230 .. I paid attention to the overall property lines and selected a place on the outside with good access, electricity and plenty of rough terrain/cover between me & neighbors..

See plenty of game: Audad, Siks, Axis Whitetail & of course Pigs .. Didn't make it ou this year during the season but come tomorrow .. Hopefully I'll be posting some pictures...

Used landsoftexas.com & Texas Veterans Land Board

Comment

Our place is out there. I wish it wasn't quite so far away, otherwise it's paradise for me. Try to get in an area with larger landowners. It's good that you prefer exotics; in my experience 5.5 year old whitetail bucks are rarer than 30"+ axis and aoudads with good curl.

Comment

Working...
                    X