Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat from a mature buck deer - is it edible or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat from a mature buck deer - is it edible or not?

Good evening:

Not a whole lot of experience deer hunting - my son has killed two white tail does, and I've killed a little button buck, so my question is about mature white tail bucks - is the meat, besides the backstraps and the tenderloins good to eat, or are they too tough and non-tasty? I've heard some say they take everything except the backstraps and tenderloins and either grind the meat for sausage or have it made into jerky. I've heard others say the meat is tougher and drier than the meat from a doe, but is still good eating. I've also heard...well, you get the idea. So, I'd really appreciate some advice from TBH'ers with more experience for their advice.

Thank you,

Dave

Deer meat is just fine, old or young..

Comment

Sure it's edible! A grinder is a great "tenderizer" too

Comment

Grind it!

Comment

Your description reminds me of a story when I was a teenager still cutting my teeth on field dressing a deer. Old ranch owner came up and said , "you boys better cut that gland out, gonna taint yer meat, here let me help you out!" He then proceeded to cut out the tenderloins and tell me he'd get rid of em for me! Meat from an old buck is fine.

Comment

While a yearling is delicious and much more tender, I will eat a big old buck or doe anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The only thing tender and juicy I know of is the tenders and straps. Nothing else is really made to slap on the grill. Quarters and necks make great roasts and they will tender up with juiciness just fine after a long bath in a crock pot. If you don't like roasts, grind it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                Deer meat is just fine, old or young..
                What Mitch said

Comment

I grind all deer parts except backstrap and tenders. Make sausage and hamburger

Comment

I heard a long time back, that if a buck is gaining weight he is more tender, and if he is losing weight he is tough.

Comment

Nope, it's not worth eating, I'll dispose of it for you. :-)

I've eaten several ancient bucks and the only time they tasted gamey were when I overcooked them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
                        Your description reminds me of a story when I was a teenager still cutting my teeth on field dressing a deer. Old ranch owner came up and said , "you boys better cut that gland out, gonna taint yer meat, here let me help you out!" He then proceeded to cut out the tenderloins and tell me he'd get rid of em for me! Meat from an old buck is fine.
                        Ha! Ha! On a TYHP Youth Deer Hunt, one of the ranch hands that was helping to butcher the deer the boys killed told one of the dads that the backstraps and tenderloins were the "poison glands" of the deer, and that he would take care of them for him. Everyone had a difficult time convincing the kid that he was just kidding - that kid didn't want any bit of that "poison gland".

Thanks for your story and advice.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

A lot depends on how you handle it after it is harvested.

Comment

It's good

Comment

All that said a grinder is your friend

Comment

Working...
                              X